1973 E9 Trunk rebuild after restoration

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Got the lid on today and started the finish work in the spare tire compartment, couple more items and can begin the assembly of the lid trim and tool box. I noticed the weatherstrip is made of two different rubber materials. One is a dense harder rubber the second is a foam. The foam should face the lid side. I also will have some difficulty securing this in place as it is like a rubber band and seems too small for the surround. I suppose its a piece by piece adhesive effort.

I appreciate all the advice from the Forum and those following my rebuild.

Regards,

Attachments

• rear view.jpg
    rear view.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 245
  • RH view.jpg
    RH view.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 250
  • ST side.jpg
    ST side.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 241
  • L down.jpg
    L down.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 251

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Finalized the trunk, installed the tool box. Lots of rework on the tool box to reinforce the plastic with galvanized metal inserts. I did remove the rear lights and paint as suggested - very good suggestions. Thanks ALL

Attachments

• Final Trunk 42919.pdf
    264.1 KB · Views: 141

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finalized the trunk, installed the tool box. Lots of rework on the tool box to reinforce the plastic with galvanized metal inserts. I did remove the rear lights and paint as suggested - very good suggestions. Thanks ALL

The trunk gasket you were installing in your first post looked correct but in the final post looks like it’s installed differently?

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
No did not change the sponge rubber portion is on the top that interfaces with the deck lid and the dense rubber is glued to the body structure