1974 2.5CS Coupe

adammusavvir

Reaction score
I came across on a car for sale 1974 2.5CS after a bit of researching. I found it was never sold In USA and it is apparently very rare especially if it is matching number car. What are you thought about this car in terms values compared to 3.0cs ?

Admittedly the car is currently overseas at the moment, but I do plan to bring it here to california. I never done any importing and nor how it works. Is it possible to import and get it registered for this car? Approximately how much will be it? Will it affect the value of the car?

I greatly appreciate for you taking time to read my post! :)

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don't know much on importing to US but what can you tell us about the car and why it's supposed to be rare?

adammusavvir

Reaction score
Well it’s 1974 2.5 Cs with matching vin and motor.
The reason I said it’s. Rare because it The last version of the E9 to be introduced was the 2.5 CS in 1974. This was a response to the 1973 oil crisis, such that the buyer could choose the smaller, more economical engine.The engine, from the 2500 sedan, displaced 2,494 cc (152.2 cu in) and produced 150 hp (112 kW) at 6000 rpm. Only 874 were made until the end of E9 production in 1975, and none were exported to the United States.

So am I wondering if it would command more desirable/demand since it’s a rare motor combination.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ah right.
I'm not across the values on that but Hagerty would be worth a look as a starting point.
It does sound like a rare variant and reminds me a bit of the E30 325e, which were underrated here for years until the hoons discovered you could put a different ECU chip and high compression head on them.

If it's basically original and matching numbers it may be desirable above the garden variety US delivered 3.0 CS
Make sure you do your homework on importation as there are lots of hidden costs and issues depending on where you are, such as asbestos removal, duty etc.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There are a lot of California owners here you should be able to find good info, I believe your state is more complicated than others. Good luck with the purchase and can't wait to see pics of it.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
...and read the recent thread "my e9 options" from Posix. There is some discussion on bringing not-certified cars to CA. Might try the search as well..
Ringo sang "you gotta pay your dues, if you want to sing the blues, and you know it don't come easy.." Best of luck.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't want to discourage you with your pursuit but sometimes because something is rare doesn't make it more valuable. Besides having the smaller motor, 2.5cs e9s were pretty low on features - I think a lot of them came with hubcaps. In the e9 hierarchy, I would put them at the bottom for sure. Having said that, there is a great deal of value in a clean rust free e9, especially with euro bumpers. If the car your looking at is in outstanding condition with no rust and is at the right price, it might be worth all of the trouble and expense of importing it.

In my opinion, it would have a phenomenal car.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't want to discourage you with your pursuit but sometimes because something is rare doesn't make it more valuable. Besides having the smaller motor, 2.5cs e9s were pretty low on features - I think a lot of them came with hubcaps. In the e9 hierarchy, I would put them at the bottom for sure. Having said that, there is a great deal of value in a clean rust free e9, especially with euro bumpers. If the car your looking at is in outstanding condition with no rust and is at the right price, it might be worth all of the trouble and expense of importing it.

In my opinion, it would have a phenomenal car.
Exactly what Vince said. 2.5 engine is not a value add. If the unibody is totally rust free then worth it. But hard to verify from 1000s of miles away. Also, direct imports are very challenging to register in CA. Manu start with a Vermont, Montana, or South Dakota registration, but that is skirting the law. Otherwise look for a dry western US car.