1974 3.0 csi home restoration

Barry.b

Reaction score
Hi guys , now that I have one side of the car welded up , I put her back on the ground ,wheeled her out so that I could turn her and push her back in to start working on the other side of the car .
Inside your head , you’d hope that you have the worst side of the car done , and this should be the easy side now !
I wish !!!:)
Anyway here’s what’s ahead of me ....
and yes if you look at my intermediate sill you will see a “repair “ ... ahem... that was done to it by someone else back in the eighties o_O
I think there is less rust on the titanic !
- wish me luck ! :)
26A50052-0AA8-4CC7-8EA2-15211069D04F.jpeg
9B20D3BF-FAC1-4372-90DD-186EDBFD5DA6.jpeg
D20B9723-068D-4D2A-BD36-0C4A118D2654.jpeg
58FD43C3-C406-43B7-B7F5-A8BC837366D4.jpeg
DB64389F-DD20-4A40-A172-2DF78AC9B2D3.jpeg
89AD20B6-F40C-49D9-9510-71AD6237D1BE.jpeg
8502FB9A-4FA0-4834-B725-405E6B113864.jpeg

Lord, I had nothing to complain about wrt rust in my car....although I still complained.

that is one bad rocker! Even though the previous sill repair did not quite 'stop' the rust, it probably stopped the car from being scrapped.

Interesting working setup by the way. I see you use some sort of rotation help; the curved steel thingies. Are the front and rear hub mounted to those thingies?

Hi , yes I do agree that thankfully that repair did prevent the car from being scrapped, and even though I would prefer that it wasn’t so bad , it will be good again once I spend a bit of extra time on it .
I made those roller skids for the car back in March at the start of the COVID lockdown and yes they attach to the hubs instead of the wheels .
I bought a few lengths of pipe and rented a pipe bender for the weekend and got it all fabricated up and ready to go for about €160 , so it saved a bit of money for me , and I will need all of it and more to cover my waloth and nesch bills going forward :)
2ACB54C3-6EA0-4237-9593-7487763EAA75.jpeg
9ECA2695-18F6-48B0-9F79-949A4D5BA8E6.png
:)

I'll keep for the project.
This is quite common condition for EU cars. I would even say not too bad.

We do envy our US Friends having E9s used on dry climat wihout salt on the roads during the snowy winters.

It is interesting if winter without salt on the roads are also so deadly for E9s. We know rust is a standard on the E9 special equipment list. :(

LOVE this pic!!! >>> but at my house it'd be ,,,
"What a lovely day for a bike ride, dear! I'll round up the kiddos and pack some lunches -- just need you to get the bicycles out."

1607374882866.png

I just wanna know how you roll that thing. A bunch of people just heave ho and quick, get the tires under there? I looked at the ceiling and nothing there . Have a truck lift?

BTW, here in the northeast, we live on salt in the winter. You gotta be crazy to drive any old BMW in winter, high torque, rear wheel drive, no weight in the ars, horrible. I was told that BMW made a cement weight that fit in the spare wheel well for winter driving. Never saw one. Friend from the Philippines use to buy a 100lb bag of rice to weigh his down, and then eat the rice throughout the rest of the year.

LOVE this pic!!! >>> but at my house it'd be ,,,
"What a lovely day for a bike ride, dear! I'll round up the kiddos and pack some lunches -- just need you to get the bicycles out."

Oh believe me I know that story very well too! :)
but this year is different .... COVID has meant we can’t go out so much , so although we do dearly miss the normal freedom we didn’t even know we had , it means I have had more time to play in the garage .
Hopefully not far away we’ll be back out safely enjoying family life again :)

I just wanna know how you roll that thing. A bunch of people just heave ho and quick, get the tires under there? I looked at the ceiling and nothing there . Have a truck lift?

BTW, here in the northeast, we live on salt in the winter. You gotta be crazy to drive any old BMW in winter, high torque, rear wheel drive, no weight in the ars, horrible. I was told that BMW made a cement weight that fit in the spare wheel well for winter driving. Never saw one. Friend from the Philippines use to buy a 100lb bag of rice to weigh his down, and then eat the rice throughout the rest of the year.
Hi again
I have a 25tonne hydraulic jack and I can get about 8” of lift safely out of it , so I have a few blocks of wood and as you can see a few wheels , so I just slowly jack it up bit by bit until it’s at waist height.
All in it takes maybe 30mins but , then it’s probably going to be up there for a few months.
I loved the story about the rice and then eating it , that’s brilliant and so efficient :)
I used to drive an e39 and when it snowed I would put a few concrete blocks in the boot it was the only way that I could get to work and back safely , but then for the rest of the year they were just in my way in my yard .. if only I’d thought of the rice !

Hi , yes I do agree that thankfully that repair did prevent the car from being scrapped, and even though I would prefer that it wasn’t so bad , it will be good again once I spend a bit of extra time on it .
I made those roller skids for the car back in March at the start of the COVID lockdown and yes they attach to the hubs instead of the wheels .
I bought a few lengths of pipe and rented a pipe bender for the weekend and got it all fabricated up and ready to go for about €160 , so it saved a bit of money for me , and I will need all of it and more to cover my waloth and nesch bills going forward :)
View attachment 107168View attachment 107169:)
Love it

Barry, did you have to secure the steering in some way when you rolled the car? Perhaps, the shape of the rolls kept the steering straight. I have heard of large metal rolls in the shape of a J that do a similar job to that which you made, but your axle stand to secure the car in position is clever.
Overall I love the ingenuity in all that you are doing. It is too easy to get hung up on the perfect way to do things, vs a practical way that saves a few £ while you are at it.

Oh believe me I know that story very well too! :)
but this year is different .... COVID has meant we can’t go out so much , so although we do dearly miss the normal freedom we didn’t even know we had , it means I have had more time to play in the garage .
Hopefully not far away we’ll be back out safely enjoying family life again :)
Barry, did you have to secure the steering in some way when you rolled the car? Perhaps, the shape of the rolls kept the steering straight. I have heard of large metal rolls in the shape of a J that do a similar job to that which you made, but your axle stand to secure the car in position is clever.
Overall I love the ingenuity in all that you are doing. It is too easy to get hung up on the perfect way to do things, vs a practical way that saves a few £ while you are at it.
Hi there
Thanks for that , the steering self centres because of the width of the roller hoop,
I did have to be careful when making it , as it needed to miss the steering linkages .
I would also say that I would never just rely on the axle stands , so I use the stacked up wheels too for a bit of extra safety .
It has really worked out well and genuinely it is a one man operation to get the car up into a good height to work on .
No more lying on my back ducking falling welding sparks or grinder sparks or old under seal :)
DB9F32AE-AEF4-4738-8A63-22D77CA1177B.jpeg

Back