1974 3.0CS 4 speed For Sale Restored in 1985 98% Rust Free

imotors

Reaction score
This was my dream car in the early 80's, and I just couldn't wait to get my hands on one. I tried to find the best one that I could, especially one that was rust free. This one is a Gray Market car that originated in Kuwait(Desert......No rain, snow, or salt....just sand....LOTS of it!!!) You will notice in the photos below that the rear sheet metal is like no other CS Coupe that you have EVER seen!!!! Apparently, it was hit in the rear at some time in it's life. My guess is that there were no parts available, so some wizard bodyman fabricated old 5 series sheet metal to the rear of the car.......Both quarter panels, the trunk lid, and rear body panel/bumper. The wheel openings are still CS, along with the back glass, but everything else is first generation 5 series. My original plans were to repair it correctly, but the more that I looked at it, the more I liked it!!! It certainly is the ONLY one like it in the world, and a great conversation piece!!!!!

I did a complete teardown, and restoration from the doors forward. EVERYTHING was disassembled, and the car was stripped to bare metal. The new owner will get the photo album of the restoration and see just how rust free this car was(and still is) back then. The color I chose is from a 1973 Audi 5000, and is called "Saturn Red Metallic". It was originally Malaga Maroon. The engine was totally rebuilt, balanced, and blueprinted, but lost oil pressure at a drivers school. I still have the disassembled block, and the cylinder head. I might be able to locate the pistons, and crank, but won't guarantee it. It now has a 3.0 block/bottom end from an early 70's Bavaria, and a cylinder head from a 1976 530i(this was done in the late 80's). It runs extremely well, and sound great. No ticky valves, or bearing noise. It has dual downdraft Webers with K&N Air Filters, and a set of headers installed. The engine bay is highly detailed with most aluminum parts polished.

I have had a tremendous amount of fun and enjoyment with this car over the years. I drove it Everywhere with confidence. It did 2 driver's schools at Nelsons Ledges, and was taken on numerous road trips. It was put into storage in September of 1993, In an "Omnibag" a huge green plastic garbage bag looking thing with moisture retardant inside. Amazingly so, It came out of storage 13 years later just about the way that it went to sleep. I installed 4 new tires, and a battery. Added some fuel, and we're back on the road. Brakes and rotors are fine. Car runs and drives very well. The Carbs will probably need rebuilt, or just a set of accelerator pumps installed, as there is some "popping" The car runs well enough to drive almost anywhere.
As mentioned above, I have owned the wonderful Coupe for over 20 years!!! As it has been in long term storage, and my interests have changed, I've decided to sell it, hopefully to someone who can enjoy it as much as I have!!
The car was totally stripped to bare metal from the doors forward and painted in Lacquer with Clear Coat. I painted this car in my basement 20 years ago, and it still looks pretty good. Has a nice shine to it. There are some very small rust bubbles starting to appear on the bottom of both front fenders. There is also a fairly large dent on the left quarter panel, just behind the door. something must have fallen on it while in storage. The corners of the hood are slightly bent where someone(not me!) tried to open it with too much force. The hood spring never got installed, and is with the car. Chrome and glass is all good, with the exception of the rear bumper. Windshield and back glass gaskets and moldings were replaced during restoration. Rocker covers/moldings are nice. Wheels are 14' and called "Exim". I have the original 14" alloys if the new owner wants to purchase these after the sale. I also have a pair of NOS quarter panels that I will offer to the new owner at the completion of the sale.

The interior is out of a 1971 2800CS. As you will see it is in very nice condition. The front seats were redone with kits from World Upholstery (XKSS back then), along with a new set of carpets. The rears and door/quarter panels are original to the 2800 CS. The headliner is original, and is OK. The sunvisors are good. The wood is all there but could certainly benefit from some repair/refinishing. Everything works correctly, with the exception of the air conditioning (I just don't remember if it needs a charge, or repair!), and the rear power windows. The stereo was state of the art 20 years ago, and has amps under the rear seats, with 4 6x9 speakers in the rear. It still sounds just great!!!
Please realize that this is a 30 year old car that has been in long term storage. I have driven it back and forth to work on several occasions, and it runs and drives quite well. It is tight and responsive, just like you would expect from a BMW. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it just about anywhere, BUT...............we all know what can happen to an old car!!!! Please use sound judgement when deciding on shipping or driving home. If I have left anything out or you need more info please don't hesitate to ask.

Price is $5000.00 FIRM

Cell Phone is 412.638.2647
Office Phone is 724.325.0000
Steve

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 492
  • DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 494
  • DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 415
  • DSCF0013.jpg
    DSCF0013.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 372
  • DSCF0018.jpg
    DSCF0018.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 391

FlyWulf

Reaction score
Huh?

It would appear that somebody grafted the rear end of a Bavaria onto your coupe while you were looking away.

Whats up with that?

Ed

acat2002

Reaction score
Whether you're a purist (like myself) or not, you have to appreciate the bold call grafting a 530 or Bav hind quarters onto a E9.

Wouldn't be my choice, but looks surprisingly well-executed.

Are the dimensions that similar, or is there some other trick?

tmason

Reaction score
There is only one other a_ _ end uglier than this one and that is Z3 and the Z3 would be happy with a Bavarian A_ _!

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It actually looks pretty good, considering... imagine if the 3.0 sedan had come first?
A Bavaria butt would have been preferrable to using a 530 rear end.

Sure would like to see some photos of the trunk interior, particularly how the floor and
fenders are grafted on. And is the trunk lid square or notched as for a CS?

imotors

Reaction score
Out of storage and still available. $5000.00

My CS is oout of winter storage and still available for sale. I am just amazed that no one has purchased this car. Maybe it's worth more dead than alive!!!!