1974 3.0CS - License plate light lens (left or pair) or entire assemblies.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
have you checked with somebody like Al Taylor? he has come up with a lot of 320i C tubes, you would think that anybody that finds those can find the rear license plate lights from an e21

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Likely what happened is the car got hit on the rear in its life and the bumper that was put on was not a 1973.
Actually - and crazy enough - I have the letters to factory and receipts from the original owner who preferred and purchased factory euro bumpers (not sure what happened to USA vesions). He also put a 528i 5-speed in place of the auto. He's passed away - but that was a man who loved this car.

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
(Thought) I just found a pair on eBay - not! Were euro bumper version.Onward!

Last edited:

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nobody seems to be able to find them. I was looking on 2002FAQ and they too are searching.
You will be a hero to the '02 crowd if you find a source
You have me really confused. Those are bumper lights not body mounted plate lights. I thought that you wanted replacement body mounted lights.[/QUOTE

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
You have me really confused. Those are bumper lights not body mounted plate lights. I thought that you wanted replacement body mounted lights.
Need these - trading a guy here for body mounts
You have me really confused. Those are bumper lights not body mounted plate lights. I thought that you wanted replacement body mounted lights.
yeah I think I'm really tired - must sleep now lol

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
44510-7a9a7d5bf55cfabc0ba05effa9998e9f.jpg

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Talked to seller of bumper lights and she may have exterior lights-will advise and if I get a set will offer extra to anyone who needs it here.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
True. Easier to just replace the panel with a pre-74/Euro one. W/o the fog light of course (unless you want to cut up the rear to accommodate).
Do not intend to hijack this thread, but I am thoroughly confused (specific to my car). I have a 1973 US car, but it has the Euro rear fog light in the panel (between the left tail light and license plate). Probably replaced by a PO. I have body mounted license plate lights (well, the remnants of them), drilled throgh the panel (not on a license plate trim piece). And I have cover plates in my rear bumper filling the holes that bumper mounted lights would go (assume they were never there). Are you saying the rear body panel would have been cut to fit the Euro fog light? I have long suspected previous damage to the rear of the car, and I do not yet know what exactly that led to. But this puzzle seems to be complicated. Did pre-73 cars all have bumper mounted lights. :confused:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do not intend to hijack this thread, but I am thoroughly confused (specific to my car). I have a 1973 US car, but it has the Euro rear fog light in the panel (between the left tail light and license plate). Probably replaced by a PO. I have body mounted license plate lights (well, the remnants of them), drilled throgh the panel (not on a license plate trim piece). And I have cover plates in my rear bumper filling the holes that bumper mounted lights would go (assume they were never there). Are you saying the rear body panel would have been cut to fit the Euro fog light? I have long suspected previous damage to the rear of the car, and I do not yet know what exactly that led to. But this puzzle seems to be complicated. Did pre-73 cars all have bumper mounted lights. :confused:
All coupes had a spot that could be cut out to accommodate the euro fog light and the wiring is in place ready for use. So yes, if it has the license plate illumination for USA style license tags, it likely had the fog light added later. Maybe when the bumper was changed after the accident?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That sounds so much cleaner than the projected pieces on the rear panel. It seems that so many details became pointier and/or lumpier on the 73s: these lights, the front bumper over riders, both bumpers in general... I feel like I am inadvertently converting my 73 to a pre 73 - one detail at a time. :)