1974 BMW 3.0 CS on Sotheby's

Looks nice in the pics. Karmann plate says color 09 which doesn't exist, Nachtblau is 040, perhaps a color change? Not in the legacy Registries.

Nice car. Early 74 features except for later style tilting headrests. 4 slat grille. Earlier air cleaner. Front corner reflectors have been removed.

Last edited:
The serial # of 4310275 is three before the 078 on the fairly highly modified car I had for 5 years and sold last fall. That car had a build date according to RealOEM of May 1974. Interesting that my car had the 'pre-74' 5 spoke rims, and this one rolls on them also. My vision processing unit concludes that it is a very attractive color combination.

RM Sotheby's 20% commission paid by buyer may make this car more expensive than the records might show!

Gary

Last edited:
20% commission is quite a premium. But if the car is as nice as these photos show,not many are for sale this ready to drive. I had a Nachblau Metallic sticker ready to put on my car until the almost factory color could not be exactly matched.

Definitely been sitting for awhile:

74a134fffd811d00175b8f03589051df3131b7b7.jpg

On the driver's underside picture it appears the rocker covers have been pop riveted on. I also noticed what looks like a very new tranny on an underside picture that has little to no mileage on it. There are no DOT lights on the front fenders but they are there on the back. My experience has been that this usually indicates that the front fenders were replaced and possibly the rockers. Didn't see how they mounted the trim but if they used pop rivets on the covers no telling what they did with the difficult trim mounts.
This auction format highlights, to me, the strength of the BaT auction site of being able to ask questions to these kind of issues. You would think that this big of an auction house should have adapted their model to address this deficiency.
Nice looking Coupe with very few owners, most of its bits and pieces there and an upscale auctioneer selling it.
Regards, Jon

Guys,

Just for clarification its 10% commission on cars in this new virtual format.

Its only 20% on memorabilia , maybe that is where the mistake originated above

Pete

On the driver's underside picture it appears the rocker covers have been pop riveted on. I also noticed what looks like a very new tranny on an underside picture that has little to no mileage on it. There are no DOT lights on the front fenders but they are there on the back. My experience has been that this usually indicates that the front fenders were replaced and possibly the rockers.

My 2800CS is like that. I doubt fenders were replaced.

Probably the US importer might've felt the front turn signals were good enough (which I concur with) and didn't need those extraneous awful side markers

Side marker lights were installed at the factory on all US/NA market coupes not by the importer unless it were a grey market car and this not.

Sold For $89,100

Man, I think that's more than what BAT could have delivered for that car. Especially since what I consider a 3+/2- condition car (underside and under the hood on those shock towers isn't all that pretty).

COngrats to the seller!

Back