1974 Fjord 3.0 CSA

restart

Reaction score
My free opinion is to stow that car in an outbuilding and shop for a decent coupe.
With these old cars it is critical to have a parts car.

And then grandpas ride could live on and you would have an appreciating asset. Unless you need the money?

Aside...
I had a rust bucket in my yard for years and now that it's gone I wish I would have kept it and turned it into yard art.
From looking at the pictures it looks like you have room to throw up a canvas shelter and some old carpet down....

restart

Reaction score
So many reasons to keep it there.

E9s are way cooler than e24s. Lighter, better looking, appreciating, easier to work on. You already have a great collection of parts. So easy to learn about them if you have 2. Very handy reference and nice to be able to go out to the barn and grab a part of the family heirloom:|
As you probably found out fixing yours would be twice the price of finding a decent one. And probably close to the same price as a big coupe. Enlist the help of the experts here and keep looking til you find a nice clean body to start with.

Plus you remain part of this community of bimmer gear heads. That's good right.
Here is a neat trick I learnt.....
Flip a coin, while the coin is I the air, notice what you are wishing for.
Not something to,live by, but a neat experiment.

If I haven't convinced you yet, I am going to have to switch to reverse psychology.

Will you just give me the car? I will come and get it for free:p

Just kidding, you'll have to pay gas. :shock:

Ok, I'll get off my high horse(I am not an expert but play one on TV:razz:

Thanks for the chance to ramble on.
Cheers

BlueCar

Reaction score
Yup, all of the above. Just shoot me now! When the ad went live I got a slew of call and and emails, I realized, hey, all these people are wanting the car and I already have it!

I guess they are getting fewer and far between, 20 years ago nobody gave a rats ass about these cars.Why should I give it up. It's not a lot of money, I don't need the money, Costs me nothing to keep in it's current stasis... I can keep until I'm ready to restore it.

Plus, it would not cost a lot to get it back to being a driver. It's fairly solid, and is not falling apart going down the road. I drove it in 2012 and it just been parked since then. This of course if the motor is good. But, she is a very faithful beast, always started... :grin:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yup, all of the above. Just shoot me now! When the ad went live I got a slew of call and and emails, I realized, hey, all these people are wanting the car and I already have it!

I guess they are getting fewer and far between, 20 years ago nobody gave a rats ass about these cars.Why should I give it up. It's not a lot of money, I don't need the money, Costs me nothing to keep in it's current stasis... I can keep until I'm ready to restore it.

Plus, it would not cost a lot to get it back to being a driver. It's fairly solid, and is not falling apart going down the road. I drove it in 2012 and it just been parked since then. This of course if the motor is good. But, she is a very faithful beast, always started... :grin:

Make an appointment with Mario to come get the car and make it safe. Then drive and enjoy while you save up the money for the restoration based on the estimate he will give you after making sure the brakes work, the fuel tank is not full of rust or detritus and the other basic components pass muster. Then get a strong vacuum, good car wash, polish then wax. You will fall in love all over again.
Just my 2 cents worth

BlueCar

Reaction score
Thank you Stan, for the words of encouragement. I was unsure if Mario would just do little stuff to make her safe and run. I can also do small stuff as she's running, seats... carpet... she'll be a bit shabby chic:-D Honestly I just want to drive.

I just pulled the ad, it had 2,500 views in 1 day, I had people from Paris and Dubai contacting me, made me believe I should KEEP the car!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you Stan, for the words of encouragement. I was unsure if Mario would just do little stuff to make her safe and run. I can also do small stuff as she's running, seats... carpet... she'll be a bit shabby chic:-D Honestly I just want to drive.

I just pulled the ad, it had 2,500 views in 1 day, I had people from Paris and Dubai contacting me, made me believe I should KEEP the car!

If the car has been sitting for a long time it may need $1000 with of work to make it go. Maybe more if brakes are frozen. A change of all fluids (radiator, oil, transmission) will not be cheap but worthwhile. Talk to him and see what is needed for phase one. Phase 2 is elbow grease, phase 3 is restoration.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At Sunday's local car show where I had my Polaris Coupe I talked to at least! a dozen people who had sellers' regret. They should all wish they had read restarts' advice.

Steve