1975 BMW CS (So Cal)

Tone

Reaction score
Wondering

As I am located in Vancouver, southern Califonia is tough to get to without flying. I am wondering if anyone has ever seen the car, and has any information. The seller has someone representing him in the transaction. Thx in advance. Tim.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I could take a look tomorrow during the day if seller is available. Or possibly Sunday before noon. You can contact me by PM.

Chris

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'd be in...

...but my budget for a 3.0cs/csi is only $20,487 - just a dollar short.

Seriously - what is with that asking price?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's a re-sellers trick.
You did google the phone number right? It's a third party representing the seller.

yourcarsultant.com/
(949) 842-1566. Content copyright . yourcarsultant. All rights reserved. Website Builder. Content copyright 2013. yourcarsultant. All rights reserved.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In this case the third party is a family friend of the seller who is 69 years old. He has owned the coupe since 1981, I saw it today. Very nice gent who was in the BMWCCA back in the 80s, I will probably find it in the old CS Register from back then.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, Tim has decided to pass on this coupe so I told the owner John that I would post my report and photos of his coupe here in case others were interested. Here is a link to my photo album.

https://picasaweb.google.com/HBChri...&authkey=Gv1sRgCMWFn97JgeqNRg&feat=directlink

It is a euro spec CS built in late 74 and is a 75 model. It was imported in 1981 to Newport Beach by a dealer who specialized in European cars and had to pass DOT/EPA requirements so door beams were added along with side marker lights. The dealer installed a 5 speed trans into the 4 speed chassis for $2000 and John believes it was a brand new trans which is very possible.

It is Granatrot Metallic and was repainted completely in 85 after a tree limb fell on its roof. I don't think the trim was removed and the paint is showing its age with fading, scratches and small rust bubbles appearing in the lower quarter panels and bottom corners of both doors. The biggest concern is the right front fender seam, it is cracking and flaking which means the fender needs to be removed and replaced if you are going to do any paint and body work. Rust also appearing around hood grilles and rear edge of trunk. The interior is black velour, rear seat tops are coming apart as is the driver side bolster. It has been this way for years according to John, he says rust bubbles just appeared in the last year. There is no trunk board above the spare tire but it has trunk carpet and caddy.

The coupe has a KM speedo currently at 126K KM, Webers replaced the Zeniths which are in the trunk, manual front windows, aftermarket A/C not working installed in glove box, motor is very dirty with aluminum showing much corrosion. It started right up, John says it smokes a bit, I did not drive it, it was over 95 degrees in Anaheim!

This coupe has not been driven much in over 30 years which could mean cooling issues, fuel issues, not sure. No cracks in dash and wood looks very nice. Recent work was a brake and clutch fluid flush and Weber adjustment, tires are at least 12 years old on 14" BBS basket weaves. Inactivity in a coupe is not always a good thing unfortunately.

You can contact Eric the friend/consigner at the number in the Ad. I told John his price was too optimistic but he is such a nice gentleman I hope someone buys it and treats it to the full restoration it deserves. You could probably drive it for quite a while to sort out mechanicals and do the major work later.

EJ333

Reaction score
Chris,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos on this coupe. Did you have a chance to lift the carpet to see what condition the floor pans were in ? Did you see if there was moderate rust in the trunk ? Do you think that there may be considerable rust in "the box' behind the front wheels ? Thanks

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The underside looked fine, like all 40 year old coupes it was dark from oil but looked solid. It has been garaged almost its entire life. Wheel wells looked OK, biggest issue is fender. I think trunk is fine but I didn't pull the spare, it was too freakin hot!

Tone

Reaction score
Today

I can not thank Chris enough for saving me a trip. Despite hellish heat he was kind enough to make the trek today. If I can ever return the favour pls do not hesitate to ask. This is for any member who would like some help from Vancouver.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Note the Perfect! clamshell. Some valuable parts or an expen$ive restoration. Sad about the fabric seats. My first parts car had beautiful grey seats but they were mice infested, smelled, and went straight to the dumpster after stripping parts.