1976 BMW 3.5 CSL Group 5 - no. 2275982

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
First of all, thanks for posting. Amazing find. Someone should call in and check pricing just for the heck of it. I am surprised this isn't being sold privately or by a major auction house. But forget about all that since my pocket change won't buy it.

I'm glad you posted this for a couple other reasons. This car has the really cool exhaust headers on it (as far as I can tell from pic). Like the ones in the CSL cut-out poster. Does anyone run these on there car? I don't think they would work due to angle of the motor head (Not slanted). Did you make them yourself if you do, or does someone sell these aftermarket to fit a street car? I have never seen them other than on these Group 5 cars.

Second question that has always had me scratching my head. The "factory" 3.5 Group 5 motor does not have the slant to it like a stock motor does. They have 24 valves and the rocker cover is very unique and just like the one in the cut-out poster etc. Can someone give a brief history on the differences? What did BMW learn from such dramatic design changes from original motor design and did they start using any of that technology on the later designed M30 3.5L motors using the different head? Other than the injection improvements. Why did they stick to the slant 6 if this design worked better? Or I should say put out more horsepower. Looking forward to the education. My guess is too expensive and goal was longevity in motor, reliability, etc. Not 480HP autobahn/grocery getters. I'm sure those heads are near impossible to find.

Attachments

• SHIN-CSL.jpg
    SHIN-CSL.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the engine is not slanted because it is a dry sump motor which can then sit lower in the car and breathe more efficiently

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's the only reason huh? I figured it would be a dry sump but I don't race so not sure all the nuances. Have you ever seen anyone run those headers on a slanted motor?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have zero knowledge on this but I can't imagine them fitting if slanted, would need more complex snaking as seen int usual designs.

That's the only reason huh? I figured it would be a dry sump but I don't race so not sure all the nuances. Have you ever seen anyone run those headers on a slanted motor?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, one of the 21 factory cars, 2275982. I assumed they all had VINs but these 21 are not included in the Karmann count of 30,456 coupes.

http://www.e9-driven.com/E9_Vins.asp

Maybe one of our experts can explain, if this was built in 1975 then all of the 21 were 3.5 factory race cars? And all of the earlier privateer race cars were converted from 2800CS, 3.0CS and CSL vehicles with VINs?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I spotted this one this morning also. At first glance I thought it was the club racer build. I didn't pay attention to the ad, and had no idea about the significance!

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If I had the means, I would buy this CSL in a heartbeat and vintage race it. It would be a dream come true. 8)

wsk

Reaction score
A very special car. One of the works cars, but it went to Schnitzer. If I recall correctly the upright motor mounting was a Schnitzer idea and its purpose was to untangle the exhaust plumbing a bit and improve flow through that 4 valve head. I also seem to recall it was good for a measurable HP increase.

shanon

Reaction score
+1 - that Schnitzer may have tweaked after received from factory. Historically, Schnitzer cars usually had the most power until the factory turbo efforts.

The ****pit looks very similar (specifically the switch panel) to TBL's / IMSA cars.

Cool car. Alpina also had a Gosser Beer racer couple seasons prior IIRC...

alfagta

Reaction score
CSL racer

I asked their price in an email. They are hoping for offers in the range of 2 million Euros. Maybe if we all chipped in together....

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I asked their price in an email. They are hoping for offers in the range of 2 million Euros. Maybe if we all chipped in together....
if 365 people chipped in 5480 euro each, then each person would have 1 day with the car. of which you would have to travel to get to it. notice i didn't say that you would get any driving time for your 5480 euro.

oh, the horror that would be

bdigel

Reaction score
if 365 people chipped in 5480 euro each, then each person would have 1 day with the car. of which you would have to travel to get to it. notice i didn't say that you would get any driving time for your 5480 euro.

oh, the horror that would be

but I'm an excellent driver ! haha