1978 Euro 635csi Dogleg Running Parts Car - Seattle - SOLD

Spen

Reaction score
Got a better look and I am quite confident it is a B35 piston. I will also review the block lower ribbing for early vs late B35 block.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
It would be an early B35 block at that date. You can confirm just with how the right side motor mount is attached.

US 1988 Model E28s were made through 12/87 so an 8/87 casting date is not unusual to see on a really late B34.

What does the head say? If you have B35 pistons, you have to have B35 head.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
A B35 block says nothing on the pad about what kind of motor it is, just has the number.

Here’s a late b35 block I’ve got on a stand:
1265BA69-4CF3-4F94-970A-0E44817B3F04.jpeg

This is a 7/86 cast, 9/86 production E28 535 block (now has 10:1 pistons):

94DBA6CD-AA2A-426F-B8D3-81411AADD7C1.jpeg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Changeover for b35 engine on the 6er was July of 1987

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s correct. E32 735i started for US around same time despite being ‘88 models (virtually all of the 5-speed cars were made in ‘86). B34 continued in E28 through 12/87. Updated block with oil pump chain tensioner started for 9/86.

Spen

Reaction score
I would like to add the following:

I advertised this as a parts car because of obvious reasons, e9 and mint garaged perfect or close to it compatible vehicles can use these parts and they were by and large in excellent shape (glass, Trans, good core seats, etc etc).

That said, the car drove fine, runs pretty good with some minor "tune up" stuff aside, shifts good, etc. It just needed a loving owner which it found.

The buyer expected the car to explode into a puff of rust based on my description and while I may have been overly harsh with the cars description, it is an extremely saveable car with a ton of potential.

I simply did not presently have time (and am missng many skills presently for a 1 guy resto) for this car to take it to very good original style condition and I doubt I ever would have.

It makes me happy to find a new owner with motivation for the car and I never had the heart to take it apart, quite the contrary - it was a background dream of mine to make it a refreshed version of the glorious masterpiece that it once was when it rolled off the assembly line.

I hope this explanation helps clarify things about the condition and reason for posting it here. Other forum guys I am personal friends with on e9coupe and mye28, bigcoupe etc also thought it was quite a good car! ;)

Thanks for all the help with knowledge and information here guys, in the spirit of sharing information on a subject likely all of us on here and other forums enjoy very much ;)

Spence

Last edited: