2000cs rear bumper install

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
So, as part of my respray, i'm contemplating installing a 2000cs bumper in place of the 73 bumper i currently have. My bumper is actually in really good condition, but as part of the shadowline project, doesnt fit the plan. What i'm not sure about is the best way to mount the older style bumpers given the 73 rears have the oval bracket to space the bumper from the body. I believe the design is 1 M8x25 through the bracket and into the bumper and 2 M8x20s through the body and into the bracket. the 2000 cs bumper looks like it just takes the 2 m8x20s through the body and into the bumper.... what i cant tell is whether the bolt hole locations are the same. I'm hoping thats the case because i'm not fond of drilling new holes into the coupe's sheet metal (i had to seriously psych myself up to drill the holes necessary to mount the passenger side mirror and i needed a long nap afterwards :)).

Is there anything in the way of a rubber tab spacer i should consider or does it just mount up metal to metal? Has anyone gone through the trouble of reinforcing the mounting locations in the body? Are the mounting locations on the side the same? or will they have to be relocated as well?

Thanks in advance