2021 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion Report

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Following a disappointing finish to the Pre-Reunion races we looked forward to the main event.

Jim had the throttle cable repaired by Monday mid-day so there was little to do with the car until racing began on Thursday. They did not publish lap times for any of the practice sessions, only finish order based on times. They do this to de-emphasize the competition. As if a racer can have his competitiveness restrained. ;-)

For both of the 2 practice sessions I finished in the middle of the group which wasn't too bad since everything at the front of the group either had 350+ cubic inches or a rotary muffler or two.

I started the qualifying race on Saturday morning in 15th in the middle of 4 RSR Porsches and a Dekon Monza. I got a great start and drove around several cars in Turn 2 on the outside. As the race progressed the Dekon Monza of Richard Goldsmith got back by me, as well as Zak Brown in his 935, who had started at the back. I ended up 15th over all with a best lap of 1:40.5.

In the Feature race in the afternoon I again got a good start and was able to move up a couple of places on the opening lap. After just a couple of laps I found myself in no-mans land cruising all by myself, unable to catch the cars in front of me, and driving away from those behind me. It was a bit lonely until the end of the race. I finished 13th with a best lap of 1:41.1.

It was good to see a few of you over the weekend!

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 11.44.26 AM.png