265/CR Adaption and Break-in Tips

rb1971

Reaction score
I am just throwing this out there on the chance that someone else has been in a similar situation. I'm having a 265/CR installed in my car today/tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone had any tips as to breaking it in, general usage/life extension, how I should expect it to feel and/or be different from the 280 that is presently in the coupe, or the later Getrag boxes that I have been used to in other BMWs.

I've never driven a car with a dogleg box, nor has anyone I've spoken to about it, so any particular tips would be appreciated. "Don't let people who don't know what a dogleg gearbox is drive the car" being among the first rules I've already figured out on my own.

Thanks, John

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I hope your reflexes allow you to be quick footed

At some point not long after I had the same thing done, I almost got "rear ended" by starting off in reverse at a stop sign. It took me some time to undo the first-is-up-and-left memory in my brain. I don't even think about now. Actually, I will start off in second in other cars because of it. Also, the shifting with the CR required more muscle and accuracy to get the 2-to-3 shift right, but that's compared to the old, worn 4-sp box that it replaced and some fine-tuning in the linkage by VSR.
Good luck and remember: don't forget the shift pattern!

goodolarchie

Reaction score
Breaking in? Assuming the driveshaft was appropriately sized and balanced it would be just like any new clutch.

I have an '81 635csi with a dogleg, it's a dream and I don't think you'll regret whatever ends you had to go to in order to procure one. I don't find myself accidentally going into reverse because it has a pretty good throw from 2nd to reverse. Also that's how my '71 4spd is, if I can recall... it's been so long since it moved:???: Reverse to first to second is really all that takes some getting used to, the rest feels very natural.

What diff did you go with? You'll find yourself rowing through gears quite frequently with that trans, since it's basically your 1.0 fourth speed with another gear inserted. You can feasible jump from start in 2nd to 5th, I had to do this when my slave cyl was leaking like hell on the way to pick up the new one form the dealer (note that this is in no way a recommendation 8))

Anyway enjoy your dogleg.

shanon

Reaction score
I think you'll get used to it quickly.
Just think of it as a four speed with an extra quick 1st gear. 2, 3 & 4 are a joy in the twisties. Take your time getting used to the pattern, especiily the downshift from 5th to 4th. You will make the 5th to 2nd mishift ONCE and wont forget it, just let thte clutch out slowly if in doubt......or abort the shift and get back to 5th.

I have let others enjoy my coupe, just tell them where reverse is and to drive it like a four spd. It'll pull from 2nd at a stop light no problem. I think a car mag did a test drive once with a dogleg box and did all of there 0-60mph test from 2nd...only to realize later it had a dog-leg 5spd in there. It's 0-60 times were still respectable.

Enjoy the sport box, its fun!

hth
-shanon