2800 on ebay... questions...

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'm thinking about going to look at this vehicle tomorrow:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-B...110385522QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280110385522

What are your thoughts? What should I look for? It's got an interesting engine, but I'm thinking his asking is waaaay way too high for the condition of the car. The hood seems misaligned and is it just me or is there some strange undercoating on the rockers and underneath the rear bumper? What would you experts say the car is actually worth? Or is it not even worth wasting my time with? TIA!

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Rust is the main concern, but I didn't see any in the worst places, such as the upper engine bay, and the rockers. Of course, the engine bay shots don't really show the rust pront areas. Given the condition of the rest of the car, I'd say the BIN price is perfectly acceptable, potentially a tad on the low side. The real determiner is the rust situation. The interior is in good shape, although the blonde wood does look out of place.

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
The engine looks like it has an early L-Jetronic FI system on it - I would check to see if the serial number on the block matches the chassis, if not there was an engine swap. the L-Jetronic works well as long as it was installed correctly - if you need service they will need to know that it has an E12 FI system so the cap, rotor, plugs, etc. will be different.

Again I will echo my fellow board members - rust. The link below is a good primer on just how bad it could be, bring a magnet and rap at the suspect areas with your knuckle, if it doesn't sound right check with the magnet to see if there is any Bondo lurking behind the paint.

http://www.allstontechworks.com/coupage.html

Kaiser

Reaction score
I believe it's an M90 engine. If it is indeed a early euro 635 engine I believe that's what it is. Regardless it's certainly not original. Doesn't that usually affect value?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Not unless you are a stickler for originality. The only cars where originality seems to play a significant role are the CSLs. I've seen a modded 3.0CS go for 35k. It is all about the condition.

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally for me it would not be an issue although a "numbers matching" car would fetch more than one that isn't especially when you get into more exotic and limited number vehicles. You could use it as a bargaining chip however.

chicane

Reaction score
Personally for me it would not be an issue although a "numbers matching" car would fetch more than one that isn't especially when you get into more exotic and limited number vehicles. You could use it as a bargaining chip however.

While it is all about condition, I believe the more original a car (including an original matching numbers engine) the more the car will retain it's value over time. As more and more of these guys persist with their "engine swaps" how many totally original cars are going to be left over time?

pj

Reaction score
The buy it now price seems ok to me as an entry level driver, just be prepared to sink some moolaa into her.
L-jet sure looks better than the ugly ass motronic log.

Good luck

PJ

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
One thing that I just noticed looking at the pictures is the the fast idle solenoid that is used when the air conditioning is on is disconnected - I would be sure to run the A/C after it has warmed up and see how it idles and accelerates. The solenoid is located behind the air flow meter.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey Kai, I haven't been on the e24 board in a while. You stopped the turbo obsession?

Here's my red flags -- first, the seller. No way is he selling for a friend, he's a wholesaler. His ad text is 25% coupe info he copied from a website and 75% his sales conditions.

Second -- what BMW factory tech allows the engine compartment of his car to resemble a litter box 2 weeks overdue for cleaning?

Third -- That car has not been restored -- it's painted retail red, the rockers are rattle can black, it has cheap carpet covering the wasted trunk boards, and it has a freaking Bombay taxi driver steering wheel cover.

That's not an $11,000 car. I'm with Chicane -- the opening bid is too much for that one. Keep looking Kai, and lean on the group here for help.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Hey Kai, I haven't been on the e24 board in a while. You stopped the turbo obsession?

Oh man, you have been off the e24 board for a while... :) Yea, the turbo scene is long gone for me. I decided I'm an idiot when it comes to turbo's and will leave it to people who get paid to do it in the future. For now, I'll stick with NA...

Here's my red flags -- first, the seller. No way is he selling for a friend, he's a wholesaler. His ad text is 25% coupe info he copied from a website and 75% his sales conditions.

I actually spoke to the seller - he is a tow company or something like that and he actually did seem to be selling for someone else. He gave me the guys phone number and I spoke to him - he seems to be legit in those regards, but again... you never know.

Second -- what BMW factory tech allows the engine compartment of his car to resemble a litter box 2 weeks overdue for cleaning?

Yea, I'm not impressed.

Third -- That car has not been restored -- it's painted retail red, the rockers are rattle can black, it has cheap carpet covering the wasted trunk boards, and it has a freaking Bombay taxi driver steering wheel cover.

ROTFLMAO.... Yea. Fair enough.

That's not an $11,000 car. I'm with Chicane -- the opening bid is too much for that one. Keep looking Kai, and lean on the group here for help.

Will do - haven't spent much time here, but I would like to pick up an e9 in the not-so-distant future. Really beautiful cars. How come there weren't more of you guys at Southeast Sharkfest?! The one guy - Doug Cain, who came with one took peoples choice. What a gorgeous car...

biltmorefront.jpg

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
SE Sharkfest

Kai - great photo. Sorry I missed it this year - had to go out of town on business - looks like a great venue with the Biltmore.

I picked up my e9 9 months ago and love it. This is also a great board. You will just need to look long and hard for the right one. Rust is 200 X more an issue than with the e24s. All of the e9s look great from 20 feet - you need to get down and dirty to check them out or put them on the rack. Lots of folks modify them - mine has a 3.5L with triple Webers and 5 spd close ratio dogleg, etc. Period correct but certainly not original. There is a chap here in Maryland who has a gorgeous green e9 with an S38 motor in it.

chicane

Reaction score
I love that cone filter sitting on top of the valve cover (doing a 180). Yeah that's gonna increase air flow!

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
TILLA said:
Bombay taxi driver steering wheel cover.

I noticed that but didn't know how to verbalize it, thanks Tony. :wink:

On behalf of Bombay taxi drivers everywhere, I must register a complaint. :evil:

That technology is clearly of Calcutta origin. :roll:

Knickerbocker

Reaction score
An excellent way to get to know your restoration shop.

In my opinion, it looks to be a very tired example.