2800cs automatic ignition switch

Billyj

Reaction score
Good day
wondering if anyone came across this problem and has a solution.
1970 2800cs automatic.
ignition switch failure ( have eliminated trans safety switch, etc)
automatics have a gear position indicator light mechanism on top of steering column. There is an electrical cable that runs from this lighting down thru the steering column and behind the ignition switch. This cable prevents the removAl of the ignition switch.
and yes, I need to get the ignition switch out to first see which one of 2 types that I need.
I cannot see any solution other than cutting the cable.
any ideas Would be much appreciated!
thank you
Russ

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dont forget the automatics have a starter relay that the standard cars do not, you did not state your issue but just an FYI

Billyj

Reaction score
This the back of the ignition switch. Backside of the switch where multi coloured wires attach has been separated from the inserted metal tube, trying to gain space. Problematic black cable on the left.

Attachments

• 09C3F5EF-8386-41DB-8F9F-2D339BFAF3AC.jpeg
    09C3F5EF-8386-41DB-8F9F-2D339BFAF3AC.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 61

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The far left rubber sheath has wires for the ignition key buzzer I think. Have you tried disconnecting it to gain room?

Billyj

Reaction score
Thank you hb chris but it is just that one light cluster cable that is blocking
Yes you are correct. The same problem will be there when installing a new switch
That is what’s leading me to cutting that black blocking cable, removing, and then reinstalling and requiring post new ignition switch
Just seems drastic. Can’t figure out how that cable would have been installed in the first place?