2800cs Zeniths: Solution sought in the UK

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@bfeng you have neatly summarised the situation I'm facing.

I have been given the contacts of a lady in Germany that JPA uses to rebuild these carbs and has sufficient know-how/experience/equipment to test them and guarantee they will work correctly once on the car: Annette Hué of IOZ in Muelheim-Kaerlich. Has anyone heard of her previously?

I'm thinking this is my best bet, unless she charges similar to the Weber kit to right the issue of course.

i am so sad to see this that i will make an offer to you based on the fact that
- your zeniths had been recently serviced (my biggest concern is to clean them which i do not want to do anymore)
- i have done my own zeniths by myself last week so all the knowledge is now fresh
look at your pms

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes and if $$ is not a concern then I would get the Zeniths properly restored. If you set is no good, used ones are widely available for very little money.

The shop that rebuilt your carbs did you a disservice by not stopping when they found a problem with the aluminum casting (accel pump bore). At that point they should have said, “your carbs have a problem let’s talk about possible solutions,” including sleeving and teaming the damaged bores or getting a set cheap used Zeniths to rebuild.

Well, I’m sure your troubles will be resolved either way. Good luck.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought these from BMW three years ago, not cheap. Cured a stumble off the line, original boot is leather, now they are rubber, there is nothing there to score the cylinder unless there was no boot left which is hard to believe.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I suggest buying a backup set!

be careful,
what do they offer, one or two per 9,95$ ?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
“If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination. Once begun upon this downward path, you never know where you are to stop. Many a man has dated his ruin from some murder or other that perhaps he thought little of at the time.” Th. deQuincey.

...well, a downward path,...so much that we have learnt, @dj_efk , right ?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
...under the grace of God, may he always be blessed and praised, and protected from the lack of love of men, I write these chronicles of dismay with the desire to share my unfortunate experiences and raise the mystery in the light of knowledge.

With the acquiescence of my benefactor and friend, may almighty God watch over his soul and take care of his body, I will reveal what happened in a few days to this part

We could only say that what was found was very different from what was expected, but nothing prepared us for ignominy, scam and fraud

as, in the blessed name of god our lord, how is it possible that men have misled their destinies and soiled their souls with lies

How is it possible that a simple man has entrusted his goods to his fellow men, with promises of good times and abundant satisfaction, and has received contempt and misery?

Lord give us hope, that the avenging angel will rush upon them from on high, that they succumb to the weight of their many sins, and that our brother may continue on his way on the back of his speedy steed

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
the owner might be able to say, if he needs a german guy fiddling into his zeniths, they are not in the island now...

too early to say the worst...

so what is the worst thing you have found during a pair of zeniths refurb ? let me think, once it was incorrect gaskets, next time was jets mixed up between primary and secondary, once it was a rusty kickdown pump blocked in a couple of apparently bling bling fresh newly refurb´ed carbs, broken membranes, incorrect settings, dirt, and debris, and masking tape inside the bodies, old gaskets with some gasket paste to pass for new ones, what else ?

but, there is always a but,...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My worst thing with Zeniths:
The idle speed is dependent on the position of the car. Up the hill it was much lower than down the hill...... bothered me a lot....

no, my friend, i meant the worst thing during zeniths refurbishment, the worst thing you have found when you crack open those little bastards, i do have one really horrendous experience, yes

BTW, not when i drive up hill and certainly not when i drive down hill, i never iddle when i drive, ...do you stop to check this out ?

regards