3.0 Si questions before buying

rdholland

Reaction score
So, I posted a C/L link a few days ago to a car for sale that is local to me here in the Anchorage, AK area. Now I'm thinking of going to look it over. It is a recent re-paint to white but was originally silver, engine bay is still silver. The owner reports that it is slow to re-start after parking but will after cranking for a couple minutes. But, if parked for a while, starts right up. This warm re-start problem seems familiar to me but I can't remember where I've heard about it.

The car has horrible bottle caps on it that need to be replaced and there is no 3.0 emblem on the trunk lid. But, first off, where should I check the closest for rust. I am currently bailing out of my 68 2000CS project so I am familiar with the problems of rust repair (especially limited access to good shops for that) where I live.

I keep coming back to pics of the car, and in my head I picture it lowered on coil-overs with proper wheels, maybe Stahl headers and re-painted back to its former Polaris Silver glory.

Please post or call with any pre-purchase advise on this. I've yet to see it in person and am trying to avoid the temptation.

Thanks,
Rob Holland
Anchorage 907-223-6699

windnsea

Reaction score
Check for rust at the bottom outside corners of each door. Also, the front hood 'front outside corners'.

If this car also has the block-off panels for the rear of the front wheel wells I'd quickly unbolt one and check behind it.

Not a rust expert though as I live in Southern California.

DerSchwede

Reaction score
Following spots are prone to rust:

Check behind the rear seat towards the wheel wells and behind the grey plastic in the luggage compartment facing the wheel wells. On the top of the weehl well (you can see it from the luggage compartment) there might be rust or cracks from metal fatigue.

The base of the C-pillar

The ends of the rear wheel arches

The base of A-pillars and sills, especially if the car has a sun-roof

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Edge of front hood, design allows water to accumulate. Also base of doors, water accumulates inside. Pull cover boards in the trunk under carpet. There is foam/sponge along the gas tank lip, holds water, flange and lip rust out. Pin holes in tank lip add to smell of gas inside car and trunk.

I have found on my e24 and e3, the spring seat of the front sturt mounts can rust as the drain holes are tiny and clog. I have had the spring seat brake off the strut mount with the front of the car slamming down on the wheel.

Engine supports under car, floor pans.

chope97

Reaction score
Happened to me in a E28

Driving my in a 535is I used to own with a friend and bam the right of the car falls on the front tire at first I thought the spring had broken It was quite a surprise fortunately I was not driving fast

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Clarence, first thing I did with the E3 was check this. As I cleaned the rust off the strut housing, I started to see too much daylight. I swapped both out for used ones which were not easy to find. Sadly, the E3/E9 housings are quite variable and I did not notice till installed but my front has one side .5in lower than the other. I went nuts looking for the problem till I leaned of this variation from La Jolly Indept.