3.3 block w/ piano top pistons

Interchangeability

Generally, yes.

You may need a early euro head gasket to match up with the coolant passages. But you didn't mention which 3.3 or year other than euro presumably because of the piano tops. Find the block ID and check it against OEM or similar resources to find out exactly where it came from and year.

The 78 would be an early style head. Be careful to check for leaks, unless you're sure there are none. ( recently worked) Generally, you want to shoot for an 81 or later. But since you're not on the mainland with parts hard to come by easily... love the one you're with.

There is an excellent article on the firstfive faqs with pictures of what to look for in the differences in coolant openings- early slotted vs. later round.

Last edited:
I always equated the piano top pistons with the 10:1 compression engines. Which engine was 3.3 liters and 10:1 compression??

Thanks!

Don

3.5 vs 3.3 vs 3.0 vs 2.8

Later 3.5L Euro spec piston from E24 are also piano tops, anything that uses the early 121 E10 style head comustion chamber. Some where the very rare desirable Mahle 10.5 to 1 used on very few of the E10 euro 2002tii engines. I infact used a set in a friends engine years ago that Dave Cruz did the head work on 47mm intake 39mm exhaust if I recall , pistons back then were $950.00 back in 1991-92 they would have to be at least twice that price now new if you could find them NOS 10.5 to 1 for a E10 would be very expensive....

Back