4:46 of Toxic Masculinity

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great posting Bob,
I was a roughneck and derrickman on off shore oil drilling rigs in the late 70‘s, one hell’ve macho job!
Worked for Atwood Oceanics and Off Shore International, both Texas based companies drilling off the coast of India.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great posting Bob,
I was a roughneck and derrickman on off shore oil drilling rigs in the late 70‘s, one hell’ve macho job!
Worked for Atwood Oceanics and Off Shore International, both Texas based companies drilling off the coast of India.
Hope you still have all original appendages and digits intact!

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keshav, looks like one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet. Glad you are still willing with us. My lonely, 50ish cousin was courted/scammed by a guy claiming to be an oil rig worker. Turns out it is a whole genre of scammers. Who would have thought.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keshav, looks like one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet. Glad you are still willing with us. My lonely, 50ish cousin was courted/scammed by a guy claiming to be an oil rig worker. Turns out it is a whole genre of scammers. Who would have thought.

Off shore oil drilling is a whole lot different with serious repercussions as compared to land rigs, we used to do 28 days on, 14 off/ 12 hr days and certainly dangerous......no where to run! Was one hell‘ve experience instead of college :cool:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Nah, never heard anything like that in the patch. :cool: Saints, all of them.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow. I don't fully comprehend exactly what they were doing in that clip. But it seems like one small glitch in the 17 steps and the whole rig would be chaos. Quite impressive how they worked like a well oiled machine.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hope you still have all original appendages and digits intact!

Chain-man... he's the one usually missing the digits.

Such hard work, these guys must have been together for some time. No wasted movements, like a.... "well-oiled machine" :D

Keshav... it says a lot about you to go from the rig deck to where you are now. Bravo

Thanks for posting, Bob. I'm on the perforating side of the business, the explosives involved also don't tolerate mistakes. Technology has improved that a lot these last 10 years, but still have to be mighty careful.

Ed Z

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chain-man... he's the one usually missing the digits.

Such hard work, these guys must have been together for some time. No wasted movements, like a.... "well-oiled machine" :D

Keshav... it says a lot about you to go from the rig deck to where you are now. Bravo

Thanks for posting, Bob. I'm on the perforating side of the business, the explosives involved also don't tolerate mistakes. Technology has improved that a lot these last 10 years, but still have to be mighty careful.

Ed Z

Unfair stereotype of chain men: HS all-state football, basketball, and baseball. Scholarship to a directional U and washed out or had grade or other issues. Or didn't get the job they wanted out of college and went to the field. Strength, stamina, and finesse I've never possessed on my best day.

My experience on your side, Ed, has involved casing or other failures in completion. I was amazed at how accurate drilling, completion and frac can be aided by 3-D seismic.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was a roughneck for a summer during High School, still have all my digits, but to this day I wonder why? One of the toughest jobs out there, and appreciate them to the end of the earth for what they provide to our economy!

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I look at that and wonder how on earth petrol is cheaper than Coca Cola.