4 lug wheel to 5 conversion

dalimizer

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience converting 2000CS 4 lug wheel to E9 5 lug ?
I remember a post (which I cannot find) giving details on using various 2800cs parts and redriing front rotors. Anyone know or can help?
Thanks.. Jay

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A friend of mine did this on his NK sedan, which would have the same front end as a 2000CS. If I recall, the recipe was '77 320i stub axles bolted to the NK strut, with e3/e9 hubs, calipers and rotors. I'll ping him and see if I can confirm.

schnell540

Reaction score
I know of a 2000cs that was done to years and years ago. My recollection is that the rear was a straight bolt in of e9 swing arms (discs brakes, too!). I do not recall how the front was acoplished. I would ask the owner, but he is no longer with us.....

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
9364703ec08029e2a0f381c971bdd4f3.jpg

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Re: 5 lug

dalimizer said:
I tried asking seller but he wasnt too helpful

Try calling Boyd Fechner of Fechner Auto Restoration in San Jose California. He's the fellow who did the restoration of that black 2000C.

schnell540

Reaction score

dp said:
dalimizer said:

Try calling Boyd Fechner of Fechner Auto Restoration in San Jose California. He's the fellow who did the restoration of that black 2000C.

Is Boyd related to Franz Fechner? He was the owner of the 2000cs I knew of that I was discussing above....

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score

schnell540 said:
dp said:
dalimizer said:

Is Boyd related to Franz Fechner? He was the owner of the 2000cs I knew of that I was discussing above....
Yes, brothers. Mentioning Franz brings back memories....

schnell540

Reaction score

dp said:
schnell540 said:
dp said:
dalimizer said:

Yes, brothers. Mentioning Franz brings back memories....

Yeah, me, too. I handled his negotiations with the insurance company when Franz rolled his 2000cs coupe at Laguna (and was there that day in my 2002tii). He built another one after that, if I recall correctly.

But, it had 3.0cs trailing arms and five bolt hubs.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
velocewest said:
A friend of mine did this on his NK sedan, which would have the same front end as a 2000CS. If I recall, the recipe was '77 320i stub axles bolted to the NK strut, with e3/e9 hubs, calipers and rotors. I'll ping him and see if I can confirm.

This won't work. On both 2000CS/NKs and E21 320i s the "stub axles" are welded to the rest of the strut.

If I were going to try this, I would use the E9 front hubs, 2800CS solid front rotors and see if the 2800CS calipers would bolt on. This may require turning the rotors down slightly to fit. It would require replacing the master cylinder and running an additional brake line to each caliper, but you would definitely have better brakes as the E9 pads are considerably larger.

If that parts mix didn't work I would try just using the whole E9 strut, hub, rotor and caliper.

If someone is really serious about this, I will dig out the parts and see what fits.