$65k for a 1965 911 needing a full resto?

jmackro

Reaction score
Make that $70,000 as of Sunday morning.

The funny thing is that you know the total cost of putting this thing back on the road will be >>> the price of a cleaner, less rusted example.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am by no means an expert on this, but I have been watching the 911 market for a while. I have three hypotheses to explain this current auction...

First, the entire market is out of whack. Period. There have been some interesting ideas put forth on various forums, such as low confidence in the "traditional investments", mass-media attention,and etc to explain the increased interest in classic cars. I can say with all the confidence allowed by an anecdote that a combination of these factors recently led to my sister, who never thought of a car as anything but transportation, to ask about 1) the cars I have/had and their current and projected values and 2) if she should buy something to stash in the garage. When my sister is asking about something, its gone completely mainstream.

Second, the bidders in this auction need to do their homework or they know something the rest of us do not. The '65 model year holds a special place in 911 history: it is the first full production year. But, the first 232 are the real special ones (at least according to those that own the first 232). These include the car previously known as the "901", which was put to a quick end by some legal action by a particular French company, and the 911s made in 1964. The car in question is not one of these. However, if the selling values of 911s continue on their upward trajectory, the buyer/restorer of this particular car could make a reasonable amount of $$ when its done.

Third, in three words: auction funny business. I have had no direct interaction with the seller, but he has a long and storied reputation for being "difficult" which has kept me from contacting him on the occasion that he advertises something I want. You can search "Sheridan WY and Porsche" to see a sampling. Actually, I am surprised that BaT featured this auction since they previously featured his "Porsche stash sell-off" which was a bust. In classic hoarder fashion, he has been known to make deals only to back out after the prospective buyer has made the journey out to Wyoming. He has been caught using different user names to support his online reputation, to generate interest in his sales, and to hide his identity as the seller. He is banned from several forums and is constantly changing his ebay ID. These things do not give me confidence in the validity of this auction.

Having said all of this, I really wish the prices of cars would go back to a reasonable level so that I can start my own future barn find.

waynesie

Reaction score
About a month ago a CL add popped up in Denver for 4 project cars, all 1965 911 and all 301***** vin numbers. $180K for the lot with piles of parts. Add was only posted for two days before it was gone. This car is not too far way from Denver.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The first 232 or so are considered 64's... this is a 65 and still a special car. A carb'd CSL is more rare than either but the market has spoken. A wood dash and Solex carbs make them unique along with the fact that most didn't survive the tin worm.

This seller is well known (not good) to the Porsche community and has a warehouse full of early 911 castaways like this one in Wyoming.

This is the current going rate for a matching #s 65 basket case. It will likely get a 100k thrown at it and go into a collection.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I hope those Datsun roadsters don't shoot up this fast because I'd like to maybe get one of those. Hoping my 2.7 litre, 4 carb, aluminum block 1966 Corvair would do something like this Porsche someday soon. I can easily stage the barn find look

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wood dash German cars...

Here's my other one;

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-03-04 at 12.45.14 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-03-04 at 12.45.14 PM.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 139