'68 1600

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am pumped by that price. Very similar to my Malaga 72' in terms of documentation and original condition.. Too bad I am going to powder coat the air cleaner, maybe I should reconsider.

Dirk

Reaction score
Original color ? Why do I see traces of Verona red ? This car looks tired from every angle you look at it, body, interior, engine bay, trim. I am sure that the under carriage doesn't look much better after 45 years in PA. Paul Russell sold an early low-miles 1600 for about $20K and that was Paul Russell.

CookeD

Reaction score
My thought is that they used red oxide primer and that's what you're seeing on the vin.

It looks like a great original car, and hope it gets all the money and then some, as it's good for all vintage BMWs.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, it's red primer underneath. The original felt carpets are spotless, not a single crack in dash, engine bay is 45 years old and not repainted but looks clean. Underside is also clean as are wheel wells. Yes, it needs window locking strips and bumpers have minor pitting. Trunk is also spotless. It is better than photos show.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
But now it's a California Car... that's at least a 35% premium

Seriously... a unique car and IMO this is the type of car (original/preserved) that will continue to appreciate beyond all others.

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
The problem withban amazing survivor like this is ...

you really couldn't drive it much other than an occasional club meeting or car show.
Perfect for an investor or someone who already has other other classics to drive and wants a trailer queen formthe preservation class. Reminds me of a 6000 mile Jaguar xk120 survivor, in nearly mint condition, that a friend has. Amazing car but never gets driven past the end of the driveway + perhaps trailered to one car show a year. Not my kind of fun.

John

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think you can drive this 1600, paint and chrome aren't perfect and you could improve little things as you go. It doesn't fit in a Preservation class as it was repainted.