'72 3.0 CS rear muffler available?

taylorcom

Reaction score
My '72 3.0 CS's rear muffler has deteriorated at the point where the muffler housing connects to the outlet pipe (which connects to the tailpipe). It's a little noisier than it should be because of this.

My question is: Is the rear muffler available, or should I try to have the old muffler welded instead?

Thanks.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i have the same problem, and here is the dilemma

original part from bmw, normal steel, 400eur
the whole exhaust from walooth by larini in ss, 900eur

what to do ?

regards

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
i have the same problem, and here is the dilemma

original part from bmw, normal steel, 400eur
the whole exhaust from walooth by larini in ss, 900eur

what to do ?

regards

same for me :confused::confused:

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
My appears to be set up differently than the diagram.

Originally, after the center resonator (#5), a pipe went over to the right side entrance of the rear muffler (#8), the output on the left side went to the center silencer (#7) then out thru the tailpipe (#10).

I eliminate the rear muffler (#8) with a straight (bent) pipe to the center silencer (#7). So this new pipe runs from the center directly to the left side.

When I restored the car 20 years ago, my objective was to retain originality, but to also increase performance and improve on the original design. Saved about 100 lbs by changing from the original seats to Recaro's and eliminating thaat muffler. Given that 10 lbs is approx equivalent to a 1 hp gain, it was not a big decision.

If I ever want the heavier, slower, more complicated, more expensive, and less throaty configuration I can always revert to the original.

But I doubt that day will come.......

taylorcom

Reaction score
Interesting ideas, Jello. I still don't quite get the configuration, but am glad it works. My coupe has the configuration seen in the diagram.

Anyway, maybe there's another -- generic -- muffler that could be substituted for the original rear muffler?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
in looking at the coupeking website - the rear exhaust is a magnaflow box. the other side of the box has some indention in it ... so with a little bit of work, i'm sure it is possible.

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
Headers are still sitting there, why I pluck away at some necessary maintenance on my wife's e39 wagon. Last weekend it was fuel filter, PS reservior and hoses, thermostat and water pump.

taylorcom

Reaction score
@ rsporsche, Sure. I guess u could find a generic muffler about the right size, bend some pipe, do some welding ... and be in good shape.

Not sure how much the labor charges would amount to at the shop tho ...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@ rsporsche, Sure. I guess u could find a generic muffler about the right size, bend some pipe, do some welding ... and be in good shape.

Not sure how much the labor charges would amount to at the shop tho ...

not for me ... i was just mentioning that it had to be possible. i want something that goes together and fits - the first time ... not rattling on the frame, good fit, not experimenting. for me, it will either be coupeking or w+n. but since i have a 3.5, it probably won't be w+n.