'72 Baikal CSi for $90K, Hamburg

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow. Exactly color combo of my car - except my PO needed to repaint Polaris! But this is a nice example of Biakal over grey - a color combo not shown in the booklets I've seen. Will save these photos!

Technical note, seats are grey (hellgrau) cordoroy centers, with velour side cushions.

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like a beautiful car, and I am in no position to nit pick. Just curious, does it look like the shifter and boot are much lower than usual? It seems several inches shy of "normal" to my eye. I'd be banging my knuckles on the wiper knobs...
shifter-1.jpg
shifter-2.jpg

dbower

Reaction score
Looks like they shortened the whole trans. Maybe it's slammed.

Any guesses on the purple button to the right of the ignition?

Don

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yeah, i know ... but you know, there are already 2 really nice baikal coupes in the ATL area. we need either a ceylon or a inka or a granada or a turkis ... its a tough decision because i love both baikal and ceylon, and my coupe was originally baikal.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
yeah, i know ... but you know, there are already 2 really nice baikal coupes in the ATL area. we need either a ceylon or a inka or a granada or a turkis ... its a tough decision because i love both baikal and ceylon, and my coupe was originally baikal.

Ceylon!!!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
that's easy, Don's coupe has 2800cs on the back of it.

View attachment 43045

And a hazard button on the lower dash panel, not on the grab rail like the later cars. Honestly I thought it began in ‘73 though. It’s one of those “flaws” that those with the keen eye can point out on my finished car, along with gauge lettering that is too white. Both of which I am sourcing from my ‘73. :)

The button just looks purple in the pic. It is red.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are purple buttons.
Yellow is rear window defroster
Purple is rear fog light
red is hazard
blue is ejection seat :eek:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The purple one is “very purple” though. :) Did it actually come on the e9? My rear fog button is green.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think e12's used the purple button. on coupes i have seen fogs operated by green buttons.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The purple one is “very purple” though. :) Did it actually come on the e9? My rear fog button is green.

Okay that is the purple button on the CSI. I really shouldn’t post between midnigt and 5am.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I really shouldn’t post between midnigt and 5am.
That's supposed to be sleepy time. ;)
I found a couple of ads in Australian eBay for the purple buttons, and they list e9, e12, and pretty much every other e chassis code. I suspect their listing might be more broad than actual factory original reality. As Scott notes above, perhaps an e12 thing? Or maybe certain markets (not US)? Regardless, it is a cool color. I still haven't figured out what the buttons are for on my car. At the right side of the steering column, I have one button (do not recall the color), and a rotating switch to the right of it. And then what appear to be (2) breakers below. I have the rear defrost feature, so that should be one of the buttons. I also have rear fog light (must have been swapped in at some point as I do not think that would be on a US car) as well as front fog/driving lights. I suspect that is what the rotating switch is for. Not sure about the breakers yet...