72 coupe restoration project

Tundra

Reaction score
I am in the process of restoring a 1972 3.0cs automatic or will attempt to do so. The key word is 'restore' not rebuild or reconstruct the car as I've seen some people do on this site. I don't have the skill, space or tools to do some of the amazing works I've seen and all of it helpful to me. Hopefully some of the work/pictures I will post on my progress will help someone else.

First some background on the project car. I currently own a 74 3.0cs, stick shift. I have owned it for over 20 years and decided to restore it. This car needed new frame rails. I searched for a donor car and as luck would have it I stumbled on a 72 automatic.

After getting the car home I studied it for about a week and decided that it was in to good of a condition to take apart to use on the 74 and decided to restore this one first. The 74 will have to wait.

The rust on the 72 is minimal compared to what I have seen on this site. That is not say there is no rust. The car is 36 years old after all. Most of it is what I would call surface rust where it can be sanded/grounded out. The floor boards have few rust trough the size of quarters. In my opinion it does not warrant replacing the entire floor considering the work and cost involved. I expect the work I will do to last 15-20 years. By then the car will be over 50 years old going on sixty. The 74 was used as a daily driver for 10 years in New York city with all the associated rain, snow salt and potholes so I know the rust process and how long it takes in the worst coditions.

A good deal of the engine was taken apart as was the interior and trims. I have about 6 boxes of parts. I will have a heck of time of putting it all back together.

Any questions, comments, suggestion and criticisms are welcome. However, when posting your comments please bear in mind that I am not a professional auto restorer. I'm doing it for the love of the car, keeps me occupied, and the pride of having it done myself. I'm sure that down the road I will need some help and will ask questions on this board.

Last edited:

Tundra

Reaction score
Most of the work involved getting rid of all the parking lot dings, dents scratches and some paint cracking/peeling. Some of it will have to be redone/perfected. I gave it an intial primer coating. It needs to be sanded down and resprayed.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking good and enjoying the photos! I'm also jealous of your time. ;-)

Dan