72 e9 side vents blk or chrome ?

DavidPaul

Reaction score
Ok, found an earlier thread that explained that a 72 would have silver vents. Does anyone know of a source for the aluminum version ??

jmackro

Reaction score
But isn't the color of the vents determined by the car's paint color? White and silver cars got black vents, darker colored cars got chrome?

Or is that an urban legend?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree, I don’t recall seeing a Chamonix/ white with chrome vents, always with black ones.

DavidPaul

Reaction score
I read in an earlier thread that some of the pre 1973 cars had aluminum vents and not the plastic ones painted chrome. If that is true, is there a source for the aluminum ones ??

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is no know source for Aluminium grills for fenders and hood.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Discussed many times but not totally resolved, but it appears that in 73 or so all grilles became black. My 73 Malaga has black grilles, Shawn Hanson’s 72 Malaga had chrome.

DavidPaul

Reaction score
Thanks for that info, I read that in a previous thread.
Has anything been determined with blk vs chrome with regard to the color of the car ?? My 72 e9 is white and I want to take it back to factory specs.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My post from a ways back, just interpreting what the Orange Books have to say:

“The Orange Books show bright chrome, matte chrome and black grilles and all have unique part numbers. It appears that all 2800CS and early 3.0 CS have the bright chrome grilles until:

3.0 CS 2213486
3.0CSA 2231998
3.0CSi 2274715
3.0CSL upon introduction
3.0CS USA 2240644
3.0CSA USA 2250503

When the following changes were made:

nur f. alle dunklen lackierungen (matt verchromt) = only for all dark colors schwarz, atlantik, nachtblau

fur alle ubrigen hellen Farben (schwarz lackiert) = for all other light colors painted black

This tells me that in the middle of 3.0CS production they switched to the matt chrome and black grilles based upon whether the car was dark or light paint.”

David, From this a white coupe would have bright chrome in 72, this version is not available however, the matte chrome is still bright but the sides of the vents are matte finished, I would choose the look you like best.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Go chrome regardless.

I think coupe king sells black decals that go behind them for light colored cars.

DavidPaul

Reaction score
Yes, I plan to go with chrome and add the black decals underneath. Thanks again to this forum for all the information and help !!!