'73 3.0 CSI on Maui....The Green Meanie

oilcan93

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Carl. I just acquired this beauty from a friend of my father-in-law who has owned it for the last 20 years. He only drives it once a year when he comes on the island for business for a month or so. Otherwise it has been kept in his garage. He wanted to give it a good home b/c it's too difficult to start when it only happens once a year. It has less than 52k original miles on it; although it does have small amounts of the typical rust....most of it at the bottom of the doors.
I'm looking forward to making some very minor repairs to both the body (the aforementioned rust spots, replacing the wood trim with some nice Hawaiian Koa....that's really about it at this point) and the engine.
these pictures were taken before I washed or waxed my new Green Meanie. I'll post more pics as I go along. And I will be seeking the counsel of all of you on here who have done some really miraculous work with your cars as well. I hope you will be patient with all of my questions b/c I will be asking a lot to make sure I do this the right way
. This is going to be kind of a retro-modification so I will be making some modern improvements to things like the ignition and A/C while trying to maintain the natural beauty of this car.

P.
S. Speaking of beauty, has anyone else ever seen this color on a 3.0 CSI? I may have been looking in the wrong place for the badge denoting the factory color

Attachments

• 2012-11-03 10.39.57.jpg
    2012-11-03 10.39.57.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 665967_10151200702017771_170556071_o.jpg
    665967_10151200702017771_170556071_o.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 269

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome! Looks great. I think the color is Taiga, which is uncommon and a great 70s color. If you look on coupeguy.com he has some pictures of some Taiga cars, and of course you can search the registry here and sort by color to see some other Taiga cars. They all fade a bit with age.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome!

Carl,
your car looks nice! Love that color!
check the VIN and see if it is registered.
Click CS registry on the black bar above
Stan

alanmcg

Reaction score
maui locat

hi carl, welcome to the crazy world of coupes - your car looks great. in addition to getting tons of great info here, you will also find that we scrutinize all photos, and not just of the car pictured, but every tiny other thing in the photo/background. on this one, im curious about the locat of this picture - it looks very much like a house where we have stayed - on stable road?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Greetings Carl- I am in Maui several times a year working on older BMW's and Ferraris over on the Lahaina side. I usually pack my bags full of parts on the way over if you need something.

oilcan93

Reaction score
Hi, Alan. I live in Paia on the north shore of Maui. But you were really, REALLY close! Stable road is about 2 miles down the road as you go towards the airport. I live right off of the Hana hiway next to the ocean. That's another reason I need to get the small amount of rust I do have under control; the salt air already plays havoc with everyone's car here even without the propensity the coupes have for trapping moisture. I'll look forward to chatting with your guys.

oilcan93

Reaction score
You just made my day. It's been a little difficult finding someone I would trust to work on the Green Meanie. I would love for you to take a look at it the next time you come on island. Thanks a heap for letting me know.

pamp

Reaction score
Lot's of good memories of Paia. My sister did her PhD at the agricultural site there. Sorry to "rent-a-wreck" I loved to blast the cane roads, beach access late at night. 3 cyl. Suzuki was my car of choice. Ever driven the cane up to Makawao? Huge fun at speed. Makena on the slow bell....Ulua.... made the club in 1985 with a 100 pound plus...man what a life.
Best to you and if you can get Mr. Lawrence to be your personal wrench?... made in the shade.