73 - 3.0cs malaga on ebay

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks to be a car with a lot of potential. if it Is all solid, seems like a good price to me.

stig

Reaction score
P400 Pirelli's 11+ years old, gas filler door repainted, odd paint, etc.

Curious how these eBay sold cars keep coming back up on eBay after being " sold ", again & again....

No mention of the condition of the engine and the transmission in the listing or the actual mileage.

Those " new looking " Pirelli P400 tires on the car are 11+ years old. (I know as I bought a set of these new 11-12 years ago for my BMW ) Need to replace those 5 tires ASAP. Tires not manufactured anymore by Pirelli. The spare tire looks even older. Per tire manufacturers, tires are no good after 5 years, no matter how little wear / mileage the tires have on them.

Gas filler door is badly painted, not matching rear paint of car.

Looks like the back half of the car and maybe a little more was re-painted, maybe at different times.

The rear of car looks like it was repainted, especially considering the overspray on the spare tire wheel well. Don't know about the rest of the car- can't tell from pictures.

Driver's door looks to have some paint issues with paint ' flaking off the bottom of it and at the back behind the wheels "... No close-up pictures. Paint does not match rest of car from driver's side front fender & driver's door, to the the back of car.

No close-up picture of the rust issue seller mentions on the right front fender and the rust perforations from the fender being welded on. (?)

Looks to be some surface rust on the pans of the car, but who knows how bad, same with the rockers, fenders, other areas, etc.

Looks to have been a water leak into the trunk on the left driver side as evidenced with the rust stain. Curious to see what the wheel well looks like under the spare.

No factory sound proofing material in engine compartment on either side of tops of shock towers.

The wood dash panel has delaminated into strips on driver left side.

Nice crack in the center of the windshield. :)

Viggen

Reaction score
Curious how these eBay sold cars keep coming back up on eBay after being " sold ", again & again....

They had a perfectly honest customer ... me. I was going to buy her. They put her on ebay in the same time and she sold for $13k. Didn't even get an email saying " Yeah we sold her" ... A well it seems there is some justice in the world...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sold? Guess not! Once again on eBay, Item number: 160702995530. Must be something that the buyers keep finding that is not to their liking.

Viggen

Reaction score
Sold? Guess not! Once again on eBay, Item number: 160702995530. Must be something that the buyers keep finding that is not to their liking.

I always wonder why they didn't come back to me... Kinda lucky I guess.

Can't wait for mine to arrive :cool: Another month :cool:

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
why it keeps coming back

Reading the auction description carefully, it's weasel-worded:

"The good news: the car was stored for years in California's dry Central Valley, a place the rust devil is banished from."

"One of the absolute highlights of this CS must be its dry and totally rust free underbelly. Unlike most of its brethren, this California E9 has never been messed with, has never needed rust repair."

"Fact is, it's virtually impossible to find a virginal 3.0CS, one that has never had any kind of rust repair."

"Find a specimen like this one that has not been eaten alive by the dreaded rust cancer, and you've got it made."

BUT...

"Under the hood, it looks clean, dry and very original, including the paint, apart from the aforementioned rust spots on the inside rails of the front fenders [my note: these bubbles are photographed], but there is no sign of rust in the area of the shock towers, which is the Coupe's Achilles Heel."

"Except for the typical small spots on the lower part of the front fenders, on the trailing edge of the rear fenders and 1"x8" perforations where Karmann welded the front fenders to the wheel arches [my note: these are NOT photographed], there's no noticeable body rust."

Am I reading that right? ONE INCH BY EIGHT INCH PERFORATIONS?

So... it's rust-free but it's not rust-free.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You are not reading it right...

The ad actually reads "the 1'x8' perforations"

Thats 1 foot x 8 feet.....

Classic example of a crap ad...

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that's about right...

1 foot up from the floors/rockers and then from the front wheels to the back wheels is about 8 feet.