'73 3.0cs Tranny - Automatic - NorCal

bern-GEE

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a 3.0 cs with an automatic tranmission (yes I know change to manual and enjoy the world) that I would like to keep. The tranmission has already started failing (not sure if there is enough pressure to go in drive or what the culprit might be). I am in need of assistance in that I am in the Sacramento area, would like to rebuild this automatic if possible and thus am looking for a recommendation on who is the NORCAL expert for rebuilding of automatics and do the rebuild last? Many thanks for the advice and the look....bern-GEE

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
BW dipstick tube is on passenger side. ZF's is on the driver's side. The automatics, at least the ZF 3HP22, are surprisingly easy to rebuild. I'm not in the know of who can rebuild these, however there is one (a ZF) on Ebay right now. Better yet, many folks are happy to give these away when they upgrade to a manual.

tmason

Reaction score
I wish I were closer to tackling the swap,you would be more than welcome to have mine.I'm thinking next Fall so it gives me a few month's to collect all the parts needed.Pedel box and tranny are items on the garage floor so I'm getting closer!

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I may be getting my E3 and E9 tranny info confused. I believe all E9 automatics came w the Borg Warner tranny, but someone else shoud confirm or deny. The E3's however came with the Borg Warner and later on (76) with the ZF 3HP22. The box on ebay is the latter. I don't know if it can be fitted to a coupe that came with the BW. Sorry for any confusion.