73 Bavaria project for sale

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
EDIT 2/17/23: Hi all. Kinda facing the music, and I think I'm going to see if anyone wants to grab my project. There's almost no chance I'll be able to get anymore time to work on my 73' for several years. I'd love to finish it, but it's just sitting..over 6 years now. I know it's a half finished project and it would only appeal to a small group of us that are able to do all the work ourselves, but I figured I'd see if anyone is interested. It's a Cali car that's been in my GA garage now for the last 3.5 years. It's a very clean, solid car. I'd like $3500 for it and that includes about $2k in parts and the engine gone through, as well. Let me know if anyone wants pics or videos or anything. Thanks.

Hi all. I'm having a realistic life moment. I've had my 4spd Polaris Bav project for 5-6 years and haven't done anything on it after the first 6 months of ownership and I'm wondering if it should go to someone who will actually finish it. I stripped the whole thing down and sanded a good bit of the paint off, pulled the motor, did a refresh on it (checked for wear, honed the cylinders, new rings, bearings, paint, reassembled, took apart the 86 head and lapped in new valves, new water pump, etc..then wrapped it in plastic. I have just about everything taken apart and labeled in a million baggies. I also gathered a bunch of parts including new ac compressor and condenser for an AC redo, new clutch kit, one of the elusive new front windshield gaskets, rear one, too. rebuild kits for various areas..disassembled the original carbs and rebuilt them. Never ran them rebuilt but I drove the car home when I bought it. I have a set of webers incase I wanted to go that route. I have wheel rings and caps in good driver condition. Chrome sill plates. The blue interior is very nice, minus the driver seat. The passenger and rear seats are in pretty much perfect shape. Carpet is actually nice...faded a bit, but clean. Dash is typical with cracks but not torn apart. I have a ton of parts for it that I'll get info on if anything goes past this post. It was a Cali car, I believe from the start. It was in one family for a very long time and went to the son or nephew when the owner died and then it sat and was sold off. It has a salvage title from a front right corner accident. It took me a while to find the reason it was a salvage title, but it appears to have been very tiny. I assume a new fender was added as it's not damaged. I've had the fenders off and it was a little sheet metal giveaway hidden in there. The ONLY rust on the car is at the leading edge of the trunk and hood. I started cutting it out to patch and is very minor. That's it, otherwise. Very solid. I also have extra newer bmw wheels for it. I'll have to put up a pic of them, can't remember the type. I escaped California 3 years ago and brought it with me to GA where it's basically just sat in the garage waiting for me. I'd still love to finish it but I can't imagine having time until my kids are grown up a lot more... Anyway, I have no idea what it would be worth, obviously this would be great for someone that does the work themselves, but I bought it 5-6 years ago for $3500, and have a couple grand of parts, I think, for it. It ran fine then, but I'm not happy with that..LOL. I'll work on getting pics up if anyone is really interested or just message me and we can talk on the phone. That's all for now. Thanks, guys.
Stephen Z

Last edited:

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here are a few old pics from Cali when I was working on her..last one is in my current garage as she hangs out with the old cub cadet

Attachments

• 6A34C9CA-A4E2-430A-B9B2-6A5528BD6323.jpeg
    6A34C9CA-A4E2-430A-B9B2-6A5528BD6323.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 35DF073E-CF24-4CCE-B2DA-3A9982F1DF7E.jpeg
    35DF073E-CF24-4CCE-B2DA-3A9982F1DF7E.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 182
  • E3EE54BB-837A-40E7-B3FD-C8F2FA7AA7B5.jpeg
    E3EE54BB-837A-40E7-B3FD-C8F2FA7AA7B5.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 201
  • DEE7C41E-2551-4EEA-8251-A47617CE1476.jpeg
    DEE7C41E-2551-4EEA-8251-A47617CE1476.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 198

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bump: I just updated above...looks like I'm going to test the for sale waters here..:-/. I can get more pics of it and the parts. Everything is in labelled baggies/plastic bins.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If the car was still in the condition it was when you purchased it, I believe it would bring $3,500. In the condition it is in now....even with the work you have put into it and with the extra parts...probably less. VERY few will take on a project that has been disassembled. In addition, there aren't going to be many potential buyers farther away from you than 1/2 days drive. The cost of long distance transport on a low dollar car generally limits the buyer pool.

These are milestone cars for BMW. They do everything right. But they don't get the respect they should. There just aren't many lusting for one...project or finished car. I wish you could keep it and finish it. I guarantee you would love it!

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
If the car was still in the condition it was when you purchased it, I believe it would bring $3,500. In the condition it is in now....even with the work you have put into it and with the extra parts...probably less. VERY few will take on a project that has been disassembled. In addition, there aren't going to be many potential buyers farther away from you than 1/2 days drive. The cost of long distance transport on a low dollar car generally limits the buyer pool.

These are milestone cars for BMW. They do everything right. But they don't get the respect they should. There just aren't many lusting for one...project or finished car. I wish you could keep it and finish it. I guarantee you would love it!
Yeah, good points, for sure. It's funny, I'd rather buy one in this condition, as the pain in the butt task of stripping it down and cleaning everything is so miserable..lol. I kind of assumed there would be an extremely small buyer's pool, but figured I'd try, just in case. If no bites, I can just keep chipping away at it..:). It's just garage space, at this point..
Yours has been helping me try to stay motivated on mine, for sure!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah, good points, for sure. It's funny, I'd rather buy one in this condition, as the pain in the butt task of stripping it down and cleaning everything is so miserable..lol.
So....you've got the hard part done. :) It's all downhill now.

I also like to buy projecs. Mainly because they can be great values. My Bavaria was one of them. Yours is in better condition than mine was when I bought it...

img_3428_50334737311_o copy.jpg

img_3429_50334050153_o copy.jpg

img_4924_50843041552_o copy.jpg

img_4912_50843042022_o copy.jpg

Go for it!

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the interior pieces. They were super dusty from sitting in the storage room and workout room closet..I wiped them down to get a better look. You can see the one oddball seat vinyl on the driver's seat..not sure what happened there..the seat is accurate, just different style vinyl. All but the driver seat are in fantastic condition.

Attachments

• IMG_0502.jpeg
    IMG_0502.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0501.jpeg
    IMG_0501.jpeg
    398.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0500.jpeg
    IMG_0500.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0498.jpeg
    IMG_0498.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0497.jpeg
    IMG_0497.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0496.jpeg
    IMG_0496.jpeg
    472 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    449.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0494.jpeg
    IMG_0494.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0493.jpeg
    IMG_0493.jpeg
    732.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0492.jpeg
    IMG_0492.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0490.jpeg
    IMG_0490.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 92

rblongboarder

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been looking for an E3 Project vehicle... but I didn't search too deep into the e9coupe.com
archives until recently.

I'm curious if this vehicle is still for sale? The post seems to have gone cold, but there's no
mention of a sale. If the vehicle is still for sale, could I ask you for the VIN?

I'm out in Southern California. My brother lives in Atlanta.

sincerely,
JP
rblongboarder

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been looking for an E3 Project vehicle... but I didn't search too deep into the e9coupe.com
archives until recently.

I'm curious if this vehicle is still for sale? The post seems to have gone cold, but there's no
mention of a sale. If the vehicle is still for sale, could I ask you for the VIN?

I'm out in Southern California. My brother lives in Atlanta.

sincerely,
JP
rblongboarder
Hey, sorry, I haven't been on the board lately. It's technically still active, but I have someone interested and waiting for me to make up my mind about selling it...It's so close to primer and I know if I can get time to paint it, it would be amazing, but time has not been on my side for a while...(Mick Jagger was wrong).. I'll be sure to update when I make a final decision.
Where in Atl is your bro? Funny, I moved here from SoCal 4 years ago and my brother lives here in GA...Trailered the Bav cross country...lol