`73 Coupe Restoration Completed

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After 2 1/2 years my restoration is complete. This will be my first attempt at posting a link to a Web Album, I hope it works!

http://picasaweb.google.com/HBChrisBMW

My restoration was done by Peter, aka the Coupe King. He made sure that everything was done properly, right down to the cad plated nuts and bolts. It took 5 1/2 months because like all coupes that have NO rust, the tin worm had done his work in the front quarter panels and under the rocker covers. At some time it had been repainted in a non-original metallic color, probably after some damage to the right front fender and the rear tail panel. The rear valance required quite a bit of work to make straight again and to properly fit the one year only `73 bumper. More pics of my coupe are on Peter's website (www.coupeking.com). I replated the bumpers and guards and replaced the rubber strips, polished and clear ceramic coated the belt trim, replaced the drip channels, windshield molding, replated the window sill chrome, replaced center, hood and side grilles and all emblems and window rubber. After a repaint it becomes apparent how bad all of the old trim really was. Peter also did the interior and wood two years ago and I did the trunk trim restoration. The wheels are vintage 1980 and I had them polished.

When I bought this car, sight unseen from eBay 2 1/2 years ago, I had Peter convert it from auto to 5 speed which made an incredible difference! At some time it got a long block with the later head and still has it's Zeniths. It runs strong and has been on several long trips to Carmel/Monterey CA.

The Orange County coupe guys were invaluable in providing advice and encouragement along the way. Thanks Paul, Tom and Murray along with others on this board who provided the miscellaneous parts that always seem so hard to find.

And a big thank you again to Peter and his crew!

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IS that SL yours?

Hi Chris,
Congrats on the restored CS. Is the SL that is also in the pictures yours?
Nice car, not for sale, is it?
Keshav ([email protected])

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
SL

Keshav,

That is a `67 230SL that I restored and owned for 8 years. I sold it to look for a coupe which I found one month later. It was a great car but the coupe is the car I will never sell.

RPETSCHAUER

Reaction score
Question

Hi,

The finished product speaks for itself!

You mentioned the clear ceramic coated the belt trim; how does it compare to new and where can I have this done?

Thank you,

-Randy

84E24

Reaction score
73 Bumper

What do you mean by the one year only 73 bumper? I have a US 5/73 and would like to know the differences. Which way does the rubber bumpers go? One up, one down, both up or both down?

Thanks,

m_thompson

Reaction score
The bumpers on the USA '73 are spaced away from the body by about 1" compared to earlier versions. The bumper mounting brackets are extended, and there are 1" thick spacers between the rear bumper and body. The holes in the fenders for attaching the ends of the bumpers are also moved by 1". The replacement fenders have the '72 and earlier hole location.

My USA 10/72 3.0CS has '73 bumpers. They must have run out of '72 parts at the end of the year.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bumpers and Trim

The trim was polished at Speedway in Santa Ana, CA and clear ceramic coated, about $350. The front bumper guard rubber was different in `73, they extend further at the bottom. The rear bumper guards have a rubber spacer behind them due to the bumper being mounted to a hoop that extends the bumper about 2 inches as described above. !973 2002's have the same type of mounting.