73 cs manual

Adadebe

Reaction score
I am planning on converting my 4 speed to a 5 speed (e28) and have a couple of questions

1) it appears the e9 drive shaft has to be cut - will an e3 automatic drive shaft fit without any modification - the e3 drive shaft is shorter than the e9 I am just not sure of its dimensions - does anyone know if this will work?

2) Besides the speedo conversion and changing of bearings and clutch/pressure plate components are there any other things I should lookout for?

Will appreciate any response

I want to say it need to be shortened by 4 3/4 inches but I can't remember for sure. I know the drive shaft form an e9 auto will work but that doesn't answer your question about the e3. So, overall, I'm not much help. There is a really good write up done on the conversion by Carl Nelson of La Jolla Independent out ther on the web somewhere and I looked for it the other night when another tranny swap queston came up but I couldn't find it. I used it when I did my swap and maybe someone here on the board knows where it is?

You will need a new hydraulic line from the master to the slave cylinder and some brackets for clamping the exhaust. I'll look for the web site again tonight when I get off work.

Scott

Back