73 CS

Adadebe

Reaction score
I do have a few Qs & advise -

1) Will a 84 Euro 635csi engine & 5 spd tranny fit in a 73 cs? Is the tranny the desirable type? and what are the challenges do I expect to run too with the fuel injection conversion I have also thought of just using the 5 speed tranny. Any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.

2) Will 93 530I Rims fit a 73 CS?

3) My wipers and indicators don't work any help will be appreciated

4) Where can I find the engine Number? I am particularly curios because it appears the head is not original. It reads 1250 0199 and then 80 on the head toward the radiator on the head.

Ben

Yes a 635 engine and transmission will fit, though if your car is left hand drive there may be issues with the servo for the brakes.

You may need to do / check the following:

1... Shorten the prop shaft
2... change the exhaust down pipes
3... Change the fuel pump, lines, and tank pick up especially going from carbs to injection.
4... Change the gear lever mounting.

THere are two "types" of 5 speeds, one, usually referred to as an overdrive box which has a "standard" shift pattern with 1 to 4 in an "H" and 5th to one side. A Dogleg box which has 2nd to 5th in the "H" with reverse and 1st on the same plane. Pros and cons to both, Dogleg is closer on the ratios, but needs getting used to, often ftted to later "M" cars. Overdrive box more suited to "cruising", but basically bomb proof

Not sure about the rims, check the size and offset and the total (rim and trye diameter) and compare.

Wipers and indicators not working, usual suspects being the fuses, bad earths (grounds) check the column switchs and the switch for the wipers on the centre console. Wiring is rather crude to say the least. Intermitent wiper relay can sometimes, though rarely, fail

Engine number is on a "flat" surface at the back of the engine. Looking from the front of the car it is on the RHS of the engine. Look for the "port" in the gearbox for the checking of TDC then look at the block, not the head, you should find it, probably hidden by crud!
If the engine is original it will match the chassis number on the VIN plate and the numbers on the bulkhead.

Many E9 have later cylinder heads as the originals were of an inferior design, plus not being looked after doesn't help, regular oil and coolant changes are definitely required.
The "80" you see on the head is the casing date, usually in a circle with an arrow pointing vaguely at a month!

HTH
Malc

There may be an issue with the gearbox and you'd have to check up on this. I belive that the 84 6 series will have an electronic speedometer driven by a sensor in the diff where as the CS uses a cable drive from the gearbox. From previous posts I have read I believe that it is possilbe to have the later box converted to cable drive but it ain't cheap. The other option is not to bother with the speedometer and get some sort of sat-nav with speed display. Personally I'd like the speedo to be working.

Gazzol
The 5 speed dogleg box that's in my er.... spares collection from an 86 5 series has a port for a cable driven speedo, even though the speedo on the car was electronic!
Malc

Gazzol, as Malc has pointed out, my dogleg box also had both eletronic and cable speedo port (blocked off) I think my mechanic just pulled out the bung and put the cable drive out of the E9 4 speed.
One of the "double speedo drive" boxs is probably going to be the way to go ( if you can get one )

Steve

Thanks for the info giys. I will check the 635 tranny over the weekend to determine if it has a plug/space for the speedo.

Back