73 hot rod E9 from Canada on BAT

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score

A bit of a mess. Especially that awful woodgrain sticker stuff on the interior, ugly seats, and stupid roll bar, but fairly easy stuff to remedy.

Not sure what the extra roof is for. Be a shame to cut off the sunroof roof and put that slicktop on.

Anyone tell what trans that is?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It was owned by decoupe, Doug Churchill. Sadly he passed away. Sunroof was aftermarket with motor in trunk so he deleted it in 2010 according to our Register.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ah, I see. So he sealed the aftermarket sunroof w/goop
1973_bmw_3.0cs_sealedroof-50120-scaled.jpg
and is offering a slicktop roof to replace if wanted.

I totally get it now.

I dunno, I think I'd have another aftermarket sunroof w/a GLASS panel there.

jmackro

Reaction score
I believe that all of the wood in the car is real zebra wood.
I agree that it probably is real zebra wood and not just stick-on vinyl. Clearly some effort and investment went into this car, so I doubt the builder would have cheaped out on the dash. Still, as Thomas76 points out in post #2, the build is eclectic. For example, the radio installation seems a bit sloppy.

The lack of a headliner will also hurt it among the BaT bidders, though I can understand that if the next owner is going to do a top transplant, there's no need finish this area now.

1973_bmw_3.0cs_Console-50045-scaled.jpg
1973_bmw_3.0cs_rhinoroof2-50096-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

BimRLuvR

Reaction score
Being a track rat, this car has one significant flaw that should be adressed: that roll bar has a HUGE gap from the backside of the roof to the hoop itself. If one were to rely on that hoop to protect you in the event of a roll over on the track, it likely won't do much for you. The gap should be business card tight, not the size of an orange. I also wonder how it is secured to the floor? Welded or bolted? Can't tell from the pics. All that said, I like that this car is designed to be tracked. Also notice the slicks in one of the pics. I wonder if they have been mounted to this car and if the car has alreayd been tracked. I for one would LOVE to take it for a spin at say Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, or Lime Rock! :)

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
The sunroof looks like the right size and shape to be correct Golde unit. I'd keep it.

Agree with the others on the wood, it looks real to me.

day66

Reaction score
The inside shots of the roof show what look like the remains of the tabs that would have held the inner frame in, so it does look like a factory sunroof was fitted but with the internal structure cut out - either way it’s a lot of work to put it “right”

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also wonder how it is secured to the floor? Welded or bolted?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
King of the data!