74 3.0 E9 outside drivers removal

3.OCS#1

Reaction score
Hi
My drivers side outside mirror is kinda wobbly and I want to secure it more to the door panel, but I have no idea how to remove the mirror. I have the interior door panel off and with a flashlight and mirror I can see this dinky bolt and nut around where it looks like the mirror mounts. :oops: I peeled back the little flap at the end of the mirror housing and looked inside, but whatever is in there looked pretty buggered up. I can't find anything on you tube or google on this procedure.
Any help is appreciated.
Bruce in Maine

Under the flap should be a hex grub screw. That will hold the mirror to the base underneath. The base is attached to the door. So if it is loose, it is either the grub screw or the base screws. Try to see if a hex key fits in and can engage the screw.

its rare that the attachment base (on the car) can bend or warp ... what Steve has recommended are the first things to check. if the grub screw is messed up, it is probable that it has been tightened and tightened to keep it from wobbling. you can replace the grub screw, not positive what the size is ... but it shouldn't be too hard to find. when you take off the mirror you can examine the mirror base to make sure there is nothing wrong ... or with the bottom of the mirror.

you can buy repop trap mirrors or new flag mirrors if the mirror itself is screwed up

I did get the bullet-headed screw out, CARFULLY, and found that the rear capture nut had corroded and was only held on with the front screw. These are probably next to impossible to find so I guess I will have to make one o_O
Thanks for the responses :)

there are several different types - somebody posted a few similar types recently. i will see if i can find the link. in the meantime i will also grab a pic of one from one of my new mirrors

Carl Nelson has the NLA cage nuts. I bought 2 of them last month to fix my driver's mirror which was installed with the wrong rubber-type nuts and sheet metal screws. This is another example of shops working on these cars that don't know how they were assembled. You should have the factory "wing" type holes in your door to install the cage nuts. The nuts are inserted into the hole and turned 90 degrees to lock them in place. Then you screw the base down tight before you slide the mirror in place and tighten the grub screw. Make sure the rubber gasket is flush around the mirror base.

Attachments

• IMG_7825.jpg
    IMG_7825.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7826.jpg
    IMG_7826.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7828.jpg
    IMG_7828.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7829.jpg
    IMG_7829.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7831.jpg
    IMG_7831.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7832.jpg
    IMG_7832.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 20
Thanks Drew
I will get with Carl and get a pair of these. This is what I removed from my mirror.
It will be easier to install these than trying to resurrect these old ones

Attachments

• tab 1.jpg
    tab 1.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 19
  • tab 2.jpg
    tab 2.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 18
Back