74 Bavaria Rescue

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a non running 74 Bav from the estate of a late Forum member.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21460&page=2

I trailered it home last weekend. The car hadn't run in 3 years and the engine wouldn't crank. Seemed to be a faulty ignition switch. First thing I did was drain the gas. Today I installed an ignition bypass switch between the starter and the positive battery terminal and it cranked. A little starting fluid and it fired. Fresh gas in the tank, a new fuel filter and it started and ran. Actually runs well, did not over heat.

The Borg Warner automatic is VERY sluggish. Could barely make it up the street. Fluid is low would not even register on the dipstick. This weekend I'll drain the fluid install a new filter, refill and hope for the best.

Need some ATF fluid advise.

Manual calls for Dexron I've seen some recommend Type F. I know draining the fluid still leaves some behind in the torque converter. Would I run a risk by combining 2 types of fluid since I don't know what type is in the trans now? Or if the trans performance improves should I just renew the fluid a few more times, after driving it awhile, to get as much fresh fluid in as possible?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

More to come. Stay tuned... (Got to take more pictures)

John M

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 246

naccer

Reaction score
Dextron

I think you'll be find with Dextron. You can always convert it to a manual if the autobox doesn't work out!

I'll ask my BMW friend at the shop later today if there's a way to drain the tc.

I have a shop manual as well, but it's well at the shop...more to come.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
This requires Type F fluid. You drain and then refill with 2 quarts of Redline Racing ATF which is Type F and can mix with anything in there. I did this swap about 3 times over a few thousand miles and it made a tremendous difference. Type F is not as slippery as Dexron. I am a fan of this automatic transmission as are the Range Rover guys. Only downside is that if you have a leak at the pan or insertion of the speedo cable, it will get a bit worse.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Slush Box DOA?

I did the a fluid and filter change on the Auto trans in my 74 Bav and the results are not encouraging. The fluid that came out was on the brown side and the had quite a bit of sludge in the pan. Replaced the filter, cleaned the pan, buttoned it up and refilled with 3 quarts of type F fluid. Started the car moved through all the gears then checked the fluid level. It still showed it was low. Added half a quart and drove it up and down my driveway. Goes fine in reverse but slips in forward gears. It's also makes some noise. Fluid level is okay.

So it maybe time for plan B.

Yesterday I picked up a 4 speed trans, drive shaft and all the other bits needed to too the manual swap from a guy parting a 73 Bav in NY. I did an AT to 5 speed swap on my e9 so I've been down that road. Just not sure I want to do it myself. I'll talk a shop about doing the heavy lifting.

Meanwhile time to get rebuild kits for clutch hydraulics, new center bearing, clutch kit, etc.

Just when I thought I was out....

John M

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg The demon has been exorized from the Bavaria.

Doing it myself after all. I believe the hardest part is over. Flywheel comes out this week and the reassmbly with the manual bits begins.

Can some one tell me about the shield pictured? It was bolted to the frame rail on the right side the the trans and covered just passed the trans mount partially into the trans tunnel. Is it a heat shield only used on automatic equipped cars? I don't think I'll reuse it. My e9 didn't have this piece when I did the auto swap.

John M

Last edited: