'75 e9 on Ebay (Dallas area)

66toaster

Reaction score
There's an interesting e9 on Ebay in Kaufman, Tx with very low mileage. Anybody in the Dallas area care to take a look?

acat2002

Reaction score
Nice on paper

Based on the description, this car has it all....the right color, southern climate origins, low mileage, no rust etc, etc.

Sorry to sound cynical, but anything listed on fleabay is immediately suspect. THe fact that the Ebay seller is "representing" the true seller is also a red flag. I asked a few questions and I got the old....."according to the owner..." bit. That way, the Ebay seller just shrugs his shoulders when the car turns out to be not as presented. I think in the political world that is referred to as Plausible deniability?

Having said that, I'd definately love to get this car looked at by ANYONE. (I'm 2,000 miles from Dallas) with three days left on the auction, there's no time for due dilligence/inspection.
I'd buy it based on the assumption that there are unsorted issues and also assuming the mileage is 126k, NOT 26k as stated. What do you think? high teens????? or more?

Buyer should have listed the car on this board and given true enthusiasts ample time. Ebay is for suckers!

chicane

Reaction score
66toaster said:
There's an interesting e9 on Ebay in Kaufman, Tx with very low mileage. Anybody in the Dallas area care to take a look?

link?

66toaster

Reaction score
I've asked the seller if car has been in storage & only driven 800 miles in the last 20+ years. If so, must be pretty dried out. Also, asked for service information. Save for a reputable inspector, unlikely I'd ever buy a 3.0cs/i without seeing it in person.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Mileage very suspect

In 36 years of E-9 ownership have never seen a steering wheel cover so worn at the sated low KM's--odometer just discovered t not be working--also a very big red flag!!

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steering wheel wear

Blumax - maybe the driver had too tight a grip? I haven't seen a wheel like that with under 200K! Agree. And the sudden odometer failure should not have too much affect on the true mileage?

chicane

Reaction score
Re: Mileage very suspect

blumax said:
In 36 years of E-9 ownership have never seen a steering wheel cover so worn at the sated low KM's--odometer just discovered t not be working--also a very big red flag!!

+2. IMHO I just wouldn't pay that much money for accurate without accurate mileage. A broken odo that hasn't been fixed immediately is a huge red flag.

acat2002

Reaction score
$17,200

I've been watching this car and have spoken to the owner.
Indeed, many, many red flags. There is rust beneath the nice surface, you can be assured. I have a few additiona pictires that I could post later that show the bubbling in the lower fender area and along the inner fender seam wheer it meets the engine bay.
Among the other things that DO NOT work are:
power windows, odometer, turn signals. All examples of a high-milage car.

Also, aparently, the head was JUST replaced and the owner hasn't driven it since, so he can't vouch for the rebuild.

For $17,200, this car is WELL SOLD!
The buyer will have his share of surprises on this one, unless he had a thorough PPI (which was not possible because of time).

I would not be surprised if this car turns up back on the market very soon, either because the buyer backed out after seeing the car in person, or he takes delivery and finds out the rear deal. remember the VIN#4341129.

That said, I'd have paid $14-$15 and been comfortable spending $3-$4k on the odds and ends to have a nice driver for under $20k. (but then again, if the seller forgot to mention the odometer deal, how bad is the rust REALLY?).

Can anyone second my opinion, or am I way off on coupe values? I know the market is hot these days, but over $17k for a high-mileage suspect car, really?

Nagrom

Reaction score
I went to see the car last week in Kaufman. The seller was very nice and the car drove okay. Body was straight but had rust on body behind rt front wheel. the passenger window does not role all the way up. the wood veneer was peeling. When I drove it, the odometer never moved, so mileage can't be verified. tires were bad- lots of vibration but not sure the exact cause. Problems with windows, A/C was inoperable, no radio, loose interior components. Body was very nice and straight. Head had been replaced. There was a rattle in clutch- maybe throwout bearing. Ultimately, the care seemed very worn for such low mileage, but perhaps it sat outside for a long period of time at some point in its life.

I'm in the market to buy one and not looking for anything perfect, but decided to pass on this one. There are simply better ones for less money out there.

acat2002

Reaction score
nagrom - yes, seller seemd like a real nice guy over the phone. Enjoyed talking about the car and answering questions. However, he danced around the mileage question very carefully. I gave hime the benefit of doubt regarding mileage, but then asked what happened duiring the past 20 years (did the car sit in storage or what?) and I couldn't get a straight answer regarding the history either (aside from the great story about how the original importer is apparently well known in BMWCCA circles). In my opinion, he's not being straight about the mileage......which makes everything else he says suspect. Even so, I'd still consider the car at the right price, assuming it is not well sorted.

There is a strong chance that the buyer goes to pick up the car and strong-arms the seller into taking a lower number based on the mis-represented condition. If I weren't so honest myself, that would be the play I'd make, and possibly own the car for $14-$15k. Again, the EBAY community is shady like that!!

Not to continue a thread on a car that is a done deal, but there are a lot of bad deals out there and too few quality coupes.

PS-there is a CSL clone car in Miami Craigs List offered for $15k. Looks modified and could use some sorting if your interested.