A/C condenser recommendations?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am upgrading my AC to a new rotary R134 system. I've read a lot of threads on the subject and one issue is not entirely clear to me: HackMechanic says "buy the biggest parallel flow condenser that will fit".

I imagine many have gone through this so I was wondering if there were some good recommendations on that subject. Sfdon mentioned using an e30 condenser fan but I am not sure if that means also use the condenser itself from an e30...

Thanks for any info.

I bought the 16x20 I think, $100. Easy to fit, I used driver side existing mounts with brackets extended from pass side.

Wow, how did I miss that one??? Most excellent info there Steve.

I went on that nostalgicairparts site looking for something as close to the 16x20 mentioned by a few people. The actual 16x20 is out of stock but I found a 14x20 with the drier attached. Seems to me that getting the drier pre attached would eleminate the chance for one more connection leaking, right? Chris also mentions somewhere else that moving the drier out of the bay leaves more room for the b35 conversion.

Assuming it fits in there and that a fan can be made to fit in front of that, is there any reason not to get that one?

http://nostalgicac.com/condensers.html
14 X 20 Superflow Condenser With Drier Mounted Part #44-1420DR

Thank you.

I bought the 16x20 I think, $100. Easy to fit, I used driver side existing mounts with brackets extended from pass side.

Thank you Chris. I am interested to hear about your moving the drier next to the condenser as well. It seems that the place mentioned above sells a condenser with a drier already attached...

At first glance it doesnt look like there would be enough room between the condensor and the radiator to fit the drier without moving the condensor forward, but then you'd run into the fan, am curious if others have made this work.

Wow, how did I miss that one??? Most excellent info there Steve.

I went on that nostalgicairparts site looking for something as close to the 16x20 mentioned by a few people. The actual 16x20 is out of stock but I found a 14x20 with the drier attached. Seems to me that getting the drier pre attached would eleminate the chance for one more connection leaking, right? Chris also mentions somewhere else that moving the drier out of the bay leaves more room for the b35 conversion.

Assuming it fits in there and that a fan can be made to fit in front of that, is there any reason not to get that one?

http://nostalgicac.com/condensers.html
14 X 20 Superflow Condenser With Drier Mounted Part #44-1420DR

Thank you.

At first glance it doesnt look like there would be enough room between the condensor and the radiator to fit the drier without moving the condensor forward, but then you'd run into the fan, am curious if others have made this work.

Yes, I was deFinitely thinking of having the drier forward of the condenser. Not between the radiator and condenser. It looks like there are some fan brackets that might get in the way there but a title fabrication could possibly take care of that.

Curious to see how Chris did his.

Sorry for the poor photo, I never took any when I installed it. I used the standard mounting bracket with bolts going into the wheel well, right below horn.

Attachments

• IMG_5187.jpg
    IMG_5187.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5188.jpg
    IMG_5188.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 152
Looks like the 16x20 at NA isn't coming back. Their reply to my inquiry:

Luis,
Unfortunately I don't see it coming back in stock anytime soon. Will a 16x18 work for you? http://nostalgicac.com/condensers/painted-condenser/16-x-18-superflow-r-134a-condenser.html
George

Just when I was getting ready to order. There is a 16x20 on Ebay but it's unpainted, ruining the classic look, IMO... and painting aluminum can be tricky to make it stick and not be an overly thick layer impeding heat transfer.

Looks like the 16x20 at NA isn't coming back. Their reply to my inquiry:

Luis,
Unfortunately I don't see it coming back in stock anytime soon. Will a 16x18 work for you? http://nostalgicac.com/condensers/painted-condenser/16-x-18-superflow-r-134a-condenser.html
George

Just when I was getting ready to order. There is a 16x20 on Ebay but it's unpainted, ruining the classic look, IMO... and painting aluminum can be tricky to make it stick and not be an overly thick layer impeding heat transfer.

I would think that the improvement provided by this better condenser would be so great that a 16x18 or a 14x20 would be plenty enough.

I checked the amount of room available for a combination condenser and attached drier last night and it looks like it might work. But the bracket for the fan would have to be seriously modified.

So I have decided to follow Chris' example and mount the drier behind the headlight. Seems like there is plenty of room there.

Now is there any reason not to buy the drier from the same nostalgicac.com place? Are there "better" options for one reason or another?

Thank you.

Probably not but you now need to pay attention to which kind of fittings are attaced to each component in the chain (flare or o-ring) and get the hoses done accordingly.

Now is there any reason not to buy the drier from the same nostalgicac.com place? Are there "better" options for one reason or another?

Thank you.

I have a highly regarded SPAL 0517 fan ($90) and it is very noisy! Works great though and only noticeable when stopped.

Thanks Steve and Chris.

The more I look at that nostalgicac site, the more I get tempted to get most things from there. At least there is a reasonable expectation that they will all work together. This would mean:

14 X 18 Superflow R-134a Condenser $85
Universal R-134a Hose Kit with Drier $90
14 Inch Curved Blade Electric Fan $55

One thing I am not sure about is if the hoses need a special crimping tool to attach the connectors.

I will also need to get the O ring to flange adapters to hook it all to the evaporator but I can deal with that later. Right now I just need to pack everything that needs to go in the nose while my radiator is out.

Does anyone know of a reason not to proceed with this?

I had my hoses done at a professional hydraulic shop, the pressure they use to fit is not something I'd try to duplicate with a DIY kit.

Just get the 2 hoses that go to the evaporator fitted with flange couplings so you don't need an adapter (further leak potential). See my post on the hoses and size fittings needed and pre-bend your hoses when they do the couplings so they end up in the right orientation when fitting to the car.

Thanks Steve and Chris.

The more I look at that nostalgicac site, the more I get tempted to get most things from there. At least there is a reasonable expectation that they will all work together. This would mean:

14 X 18 Superflow R-134a Condenser $85
Universal R-134a Hose Kit with Drier $90
14 Inch Curved Blade Electric Fan $55

One thing I am not sure about is if the hoses need a special crimping tool to attach the connectors.

I will also need to get the O ring to flange adapters to hook it all to the evaporator but I can deal with that later. Right now I just need to pack everything that needs to go in the nose while my radiator is out.

Does anyone know of a reason not to proceed with this?

I took my coupe to an a/c shop after I installed condenser and drier can, they made the hoses. I made sure drier and condenser had o-ring fittings when I bought them. I also bought Coupeking hard lines so only flare fitting is at the condenser but I had removed everything when fitting the b35 so that made it easier.

Back