A different "need opinion"

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm getting close to making a purchase on my first E9. A lot of you won't be happy with this, but I'm planning on a resto-mod of sorts. I found the perfect candidate; it's already quite modified, with a 5-speed, non-original interior, engine/mechanical upgrades, etc. The only problem: the seller isn't responding to my inquiries.

But I just found another (semi) local car. It's a '75 CS (Euro obviously), Auto, non-sunroof, Malaga over creme velour. It is TOTALLY stock, and never restored, but in great original condition. A bit of a time-capsule car, and looks rust free!

Is this car valuable, and too nice to modify? I'm new to the E9 game (but not to BMWs), are they like old American cars in that they're worth more with patina/unrestored than a perfectly showroom-new, sometimes over-restored car?

My other option is to buy the '75 and leave it alove (except for maybe a manual trans swap), and just enjoy it as-is. But I have a tendency to tinker...don't we all?!!!

Thanks, Max

dj_efk

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the pack Are you in the UK or USA?

Modding an E9 is not as controversial as with some cars as long as it's done to what most people would agree to be a tasteful degree - Things like mechanical upgrades tend to be good, custom bodywork and interiors (although again it depends on the mods concerned) not so good.

Main thing is keep things reversible and keep the car rust proofed!!

x_atlas0

Reaction score
We are kinda seeing a trend in that the most original coupes fetch the highest prices in similar condition. That said, a completely original rustbox is not worth as much as a redone, but modded car in good condition.

I modded mine because the originality was already shot when I got it.

jmackro

Reaction score
maxxfish said:
I'm getting close to making a purchase on my first E9. A lot of you won't be happy with this, but I'm planning on a resto-mod of sorts. I found the perfect candidate; it's already quite modified, with a 5-speed, non-original interior, engine/mechanical upgrades, etc. The only problem: the seller isn't responding to my inquiries.

Max:

It sounds as if you aren't buying the car described above. It also sounds as if this is the E9 of your dreams. And, I'm guessing that if you buy the '75 it will evolve into the kind of car you first looked at. Am I getting the picture?

Of the mods you describe, only the "non-original interior" would make most of the members of this list (including me) gag. 5 speed conversions, 3.5 liter conversions, etc are commonly done to E9's. The key is maintaining the original visual appearance.

Ebay is rife with ads for modified CS Coupes. One that I tagged "the Liberace car" has been the subject of a long thread here on the E9 board. The owner of that car did it all in white leather - tacky, tacky, tacky. If that's what you mean by "non-original interior" then, well, don't post any pictures!

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their input. DJ, I'm in Richmond, Virginia, USA.

Jay, you're right about knowing what I want. FYI, I'm looking to build a Luigi-inspired race replica. Not a full-on race car, but a street car with the occasional track day. I'm thinking of even going with a vintage race patina, not show-car style. Black with very little graphics, like the Emmy Luigi car, maybe just a number meatball on the door. Roll bar, Motorsport dash, simple interior door panels, but with carpet and streetable seats.

I'm not going to try and fool anyone with what the car is, I'm just building it to my own taste. I wouldn't be hacking up a rare/valuable CSL, and would be selling off the nice, hard-to-find bits that I didn't need. And yes, I've seen the Rat Rod candidate that Dan is selling, too far gone for me as a starting point.

Also know that I actually do race BMWs with both NASA and the BMWCCA, so please don't call me a poseur! Here's my former E36 M3, and my current E46 M3:

max1.jpg

DSC03591-2.jpg

atan888

Reaction score
Welcome to the board Max. Do what your heart desires bro. Its your car :D Im sure it will be nice. More power to you .

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Alvin. I finally got in touch with the guy selling the car I really want, going to look at it on Wednesday! Black on Black, 5-speed, Webers, headers, Group 2 front bumper, new Recaro interior, 16" BBS, sounds perfect for me! I'll post pics if I (hopefully) bring it home!

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well today sucked. I left my house at 6am, and just got home after 11 hours and 600 miles towing an empty trailer. The "pretty much rust free" car was ready to turn to dust if I farted on it. Rockers were GONE, with at least 1/2" of crappy tar spray-on undercoating slapped on. The area where the front of the rear subframe mounts to the chassis was crumbling, and that was the dealbreaker right there. Front floorboards had already been reaplace with flimsy, flat sheet metal and covered with tar paper. Sadly, the shock towers and A-pillars were perfect.

I was told "driver" condition. Yeah, it drove, but needed a new body and interior. I was really planning on buying a CS today....

It was the first one I looked at/drove, and at least that helped me realize that I DO love the car, and really want one. I also got to see the seller's Group 4 S38-powered CSL Racer!

Fortunately sensibility overcame emotion, and I walked away. Back to the drawing board! :(

coupe74

Reaction score
bad car

I sympathize with how you felt going to see a car that was crap. I once flew to Los Angeles to buy and drive home a car on eBay, to find that is was a POS. And I didn't have a round trip plane ticket. And it was Easter weekend. Thank goodness I have Grand Poobah frequent flier status and was able to get home without spending the weekend.

I did end up getting a good car. Have patience. It will come. Members here die and their wives sell their cars. :D

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That sounds very frustrating.. It's one thing for a non-coupe enthusiast to say "its a driver" but a whole nother for a CSL owner to say that with a car in the condition you describe. I would not be happy. It's good that you held back from buying it.

Good things come to those that wait...

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drove 4 hours to look at another "fairly rust-free" example today. Bondo/Rust Bucket...Grrrrrrrrr!!!! This is getting old already.... Lots of time and gas wasted. Anyone else have anything decent in the mid-Atlantic/Southeast? I don't car about originality, interior, or color at this point! 8)

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Re: bad car

coupe74 said:
Have patience. It will come. Members here die and their wives sell their cars. :D

Neat. Fishing for E9s in the obituaries, just like rent controlled apartments in NYC...

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
You would be well advised to look in a dry climate

The East and SouthEast have had 35+ years to develop Karmann's Curse--AKA rust and corrosion.

The driest bodied examples are usuall found in California, especially Southern as only 12-15 inches of annual rainfall and no salts or chemicals used--also found in the the South West and certain Mountain States. Dry bodies are the key to having a solid start on your project E-9. Be prepared to pay more up front but have much less cost when starting with a structurally sound Coupe.