A few pictures,CSL's from Monterey Car Week

mpgandco

Reaction score
CSL 1973---- Carl's # is #227534x.As you stated ,probably not the white car.Carl is on vacation right now,but I will ask him about the White car,when he gets back.

Gary---- Thanks for the props on the car.Being I like my stuff perfect,it is hard for me not to do a little paint work, Etc.I did a little informal survey when I displayed the car at 2 seperate events and most people,like yourself said leave it alone.It's only original once!!I am actually starting to like the little Patina that is has.It's part of the cars 35 year history.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
FWIW--original & patina

Mike I agree--let its little bit of patina show--why?

A few years ago I had asked Carl and Peter (CoupeKing) about the merits of re-chroming exterior trim and stripping/polishing anodized alum. trim on the BLUMAX--both said then--let its patina show and keep up the cosmetic maintenance as you have been doing for years. I can't claim total originality due to mechanical enhancements to standards equal or better than a stock 3.0 CS or CSi--but all exterior and interior bits reflect that elusive original condition.

And--after over 4 decades since built and now having traveled 416,000+ miles it is still admired and holds its own in being judged by numerous different judges at many venues. In both last and this years BMW Concours--was awarded two appreciated trophies--First in Class in Super Clean in 2009 and Third in Concours judging this year--in both it recieved the award for the highest mileage BMW in attendance--by the way this trip to Monterey was its 36th anniversary of the first year it had traveled there in 1974--I wonder how many cars can make a similar claim by having done that?

In 2 weeks BLUMAX will have its 41st Birthday (build date) was 9-5-1969--so it is older than many of our newer Coupe owners here on the message board--and as recently as today when my garage doors were open a man stopped in a large Motor home and strolled over to see the beauty he had spotted sitting in its special spot in my garage--and left shaking his head when I shared some of the provenance of the BLUMAX.

I'm told that another chapter regarding the BLUMAX will unfold in a couple of months--so life is still good at 41.

So Mike my suggestion--keep your special car original--but drive it a lot and enjoy it to its fullest!!

mpgandco

Reaction score
Murray
I really appreciate your opinion as weather to keep the Batmobile all original or not.After talking to many people this past weekend I think the majority,if not all said leave it alone.People seemed to love the whole Patina thing and enjoyed looking at it.You have known me for many years and know this is very hard for me to do as I like my stuff near perfect.
I had spent the last 3 months working on the car and have done as much as I can without replacing and having things painted.I am going to take a break for a few months and actually going to get my Jade Green 3.5 CSI,[which I have now owned for 30 years] out and drive it down to LA in October to hang out with you and Carl at Woodley Park.Great event if you haven't been.The Green car doesn't get driven very much anymore and needs a nice,long road trip.After Woodley,I am following Carl back to San Diego for a couple of days.

mpgandco

Reaction score
Here's a couple of better photos.I don't have any of interior and motor.I will take some at a later date and post.

Attachments

• Bat @ Concorso (Large).jpg
    Bat @ Concorso (Large).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 227
  • Bat @ Concorso 2 (Large).jpg
    Bat @ Concorso 2 (Large).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 213

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mike, Great looking car. Have you owned it for a long time? I have a pix of this car from 2005 with someone who seems a lot like you behind the wheels!!

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, Mike, leave it original but PLEASE get rid of the Pep Boys stick on red rear reflectors, you know they arent original. Fog/driving (?) lites would go if it were mine too. You wont see any of that stuff on my polaris Bat2, if I ever get it finished of course.

mpgandco

Reaction score
Hi Merdad
Good to hear from you,again.I miss seeing you at the events here in Monterey.Are you still in Iran?Do you still own the Colorado CSI?
That wasn't me driving the Bat as I bought it about a year ago

Dan
I agree with the marker lights,maybe the driving lights, as well.But this is the problem.To remove the marker lights,properly we are talking painting both rear quarters.Then to remove the driving lights,paint work in the front area.Then there are a couple other areas that could use some love.Then all of a sudden I want to paint the whole car with a really nice,high end paint job.Then install the Factory Tri- Colored Motorsports Stripes and Rear Wing.Then it is not original ,anymore!!Where does it end?I am going to leave it alone,for now.

Last edited:

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
When will be heading to San Diego- would love to see the car! You may also want to swing by the Irvine Cars & Coffee if you are nearby on a Saturday morning.

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am still in Iran and I still hace the CSi stored in Del Mar. When is the October event? I maybe there at that time.

JhwShark

Reaction score
I am still in Iran and I still hace the CSi stored in Del Mar. When is the October event? I maybe there at that time.

Merdad,
Besides the political stuff...

It has been years since I worked (ABII) in Tehran, Iran and traveled south to Esfhan and Shiraz. I enjoyed every moment in such a beautiful and historic country. I lived on Jordan Piruz near the German Irani club enjoyed Bazari Bozourg often, Farahahbad, Dazin the Mountains and the food and people...(please forgive my spelling).

Any pic's of any cool cars in cool places of Persia to show??
Jon

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

JhwShark

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Merdad,

I looked at all of the pic's...very nice!

Thanks as well, seeing some of Niavaran in the background is bringing back some fond memories of my time in Tehran, nice to visit and walk through the parks...
Jon

Duck360198

Reaction score
mgpandco, your car is absolutely stunning. I'm DYING to know what the engine bay and interior shots look like. Probably one of the best looking E9's I've seen. I love the fact that the spoilers have not been installed. What's the story with how you got it? People weren't believe it was a true Bat or what? I'm not sure of the story of the previous owner or how Bring a Trailer was involved.

Ultimately, what's your plan with the car? You want to keep it for awhile? Is any work really necessary? It just seems like a near perfect, unmolested example. Well done...can't wait to see more pics. Wish I could see the car is person.

mpgandco

Reaction score
Duck
If you read the whole thread,I somewhat told the story of how I got the car.Thanks for the compliments.I forgot to take pictures of the interior,motor and trunk while I had it out during car week,here in Monterey.The car is out in storage at the moment but next time I go out I will take some photos and post
I can tell you this, that the interior is simply amazing on this car.The wood and vinyl are not faded or cracked at all.The Door Panels, headliner ,sunvisors,glovebox are excellent as well.
I spent a lot of time detailing the engine and compartment and for being original it all cleaned up very nicely with all the CSL specific original decals in place.It even still has its original Plastic Snout for the Air Cleaner,which I had never seen before.It might be a 1975 thing.
As for the Rear Wing and roof Hoop,I would like to install them at some point.Why have a Bat without the Wings?

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think its a fabulous car. Never did understand why it got so slated when it appeared for sale. It seems that cars tend to get slated when they appear for sale regardless.

Best of luck with it and make sure you get her waxoyled etc to maintain her original structure.

All the best,

Rohan

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the Black 1975 CSL

Would love to see some interior pictures please.
Keshav/ Germany.
CSL with Alpina Group A engine with programable fuelinjection and 5 Speed sports gearbox from Alpina B7TurboS.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes I am the new owner of this time capsule "Schwartz" Bat.I bought it last August and just spent 3 months Cleaning and trying to preserve its original condition to display here in Monterey.

and a fine job you've done too! Look forward to seeing again!