A pat on my own back

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
After 9 years, I (we) finally got my E24 fired off. An 81 euro. I did a total ground up nut and bolt on it starting with replating every screw etc. All rust cut out and patch panels butt welded in, maybe a quart of bondo in the whole car. Painted in my garage, after much primer and block sanding, the car is as straight as a sheet of glass. All trim replaced with new where possible. Everything mechanical rebuilt except for the dogleg which I know is good as I drove the car before starting on it.The engine an M90, has 10:1 JE pistons the usual porting on everything. Cam is a 284 reground by Schneider in San Diego and has a nice lump to it. The throttle body is 2mm oversize. My biggest fear was whether or not the stock ecu would run it. the FI system is first year Motronic or Motroniuc basic and so far seems to run well. I won't put it on the road for another 4 months or so while we trim it out, finish the little things under the dash, get the a/c done and redo all the damage shop gremlins have caused. I am stoked.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
All the pics I have are old. In all honesty I hit severe burn out for a long period. There are pictures at flckr.com/photos/bertsphotos. here are some motor pics for a teaser Motor 1.JPG
Motor 1.JPG
Motor 2.JPG

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Congratulations! Always feels good to get something accomplished that you've been working on for so long. Engine looks great. You could always go to Mega Squirt if you have running problems. It's gotten a lot easier to do.
Gary

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very cool!

Love the 'Expose Yourself to Art' poster in the background. Pretty sure that guy was Bud Clark and it was taken in Portland, Or. He later became the mayor and everyone thought he was a little nutty. He was much better than the current complete joke who now holds the office.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Love the 'Expose Yourself to Art' poster in the background.
Lol. That's the first thing I saw before the page scrolled down to reveal the rest of the pic. I had completely forgotten about that poster. But it is brilliant. (Albeit in a slightly disturbing way...)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations. Sounds very impressive with that minimal Bondo and straight as glass. I have had such bad luck welding sheet metal.