A week in Ireland....

lip277

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi folks -

I have a week coming up in Ireland. We fly into and out of Dublin - but other than that....
Thoughts on things to do?
How long in Dublin vs 'out and about' in the country....??
Any recommendations of places not to miss? (I can pass on the Blarney Stone - TYVM - :) )

I follow that time up with two weeks in Denmark and a few days in Istanbul (yeah, I know - a real road trip).
DK and IST are familiar to me - but Ireland is new.

I will be renting a car so can get around (I am ok with driving on the 'wrong side' - at least in and around London - LOL - I have not hit anything there the times I have been there with a car).

Thanks for your advice -

Spent a couple of weeks in Ireland about 10 years ago. Very interesting countryside. Spend a lot more time seeing the small villages, peninsulas, and historic sites than you spend in Dublin. Read up on the Irish Revolution, and some aspects of it around Dublin are interesting - specifically the Kilmainham Jail where prisoners were kept and executed ( https://www.introducingdublin.com/kilmainham-gaol ).

Enjoy the time in Istanbul as well - fascinating city with so much to do, but you may have already seen most of it. Safe travels.

Gary

Cork, Kinsale, the west of Ireland all fantastic. Climb Croagh Patrick (where legend has St. Patrick cast the serpents from Ireland) then enjoy your accomplishment at the thatched roof pub at the bottom with some Guiness and brown bread with the old men who climbed it barefoot. It's a pilgramage for many. Achill Island is beautiful, and the oysters there are great. It's basically 4 or so countries in one, easy to drive around and see the various topographies (and pubs), and the people are the most kind and inviting you'll find anywhere.

The Titanic Museum in Belfast was very worthwhile ( we stayed at adjoining Titalnic Hotel which was pretty amazing too ) . Also Giant's Causeway if you're driving . And a pub crawl in Dublin !

Hi
If you could fly into Dublin and then fly out of Cork, you could fit more in.

When in Dublin book a tour Of the Guinness storehouse/ factory including a trip to the gravity bar.
Go to powerscourt house and gardens and enjoy the scenery.

Go on a trip to Galway city and spend a night in the city , it is always full of life and music and culture and nice restaurants.

If you had time take a ferry out to the Aran islands ( inis mór ) and rent some bicycles and tour the island, and go to see dún aonghasa. It is an ancient fort , now on a cliff edge with stunning views looking out to the west into the Atlantic Ocean.

Back on the mainland travel down the country and spend a night in Adare Manor and maybe fit in some golf. ( it is a beautiful hotel with beautiful grounds and facilities)
Maybe visit Bunratty Castle folk park

Then travel down to Dingle and spend a night there.
Then travel back to Killarney and visit molls gap and then Muckross park .

Then travel onto Cork , visit Kinsale spend a night.
Then drive to cork airport , drop the rental car and head on to Denmark.
( Or else drive 3 hours back to Dublin airport)
Also , I know you mentioned that you were happy to not go to the Blarney castle, that’s fine , but for anyone else reading this, I would recommend a visit but don’t bother going to the top of the castle to kiss the stone, the line can get really long, and you should really spend your time enjoying the grounds which are beautiful !
anyway good luck with your trip, I hope you have a great time !!
Ps most of what I recommended is on the west coast, so Flying into Shannon Airport could be an option too , but you might already have your flights into Dublin booked.
Enjoy !!

Back