Aargh, Now I'm in deep doo-doo. Really need help!

LarryE9E10

Reaction score
Hi all!

Got the worst news possible. Taking the engine apart for what was scheduled/hoped to be a "simple" head job. But once in there things went from bad to worse. Everything observable is terribly worn. At least 2 of the cylinders are badly scored.

So I'm thinking that my choices are to rebuild the entire engine or to replace it, with the latter option probably being the lower cost route.

So... anyone have (or have a lead on) a carbureted 3.0 engine for sale?

Going to sit in the corner sulk for bit now...

Larry

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We have one that Don actually drove, runs amazing. Not sure how to ship though.
strap it to a pallet, box around it and send it via truck freight . this way a trucker can use a pallet jack to move it around. the problem is that you will have to use a truck with a lift gate or a fork lift to load / off-load to a truck terminal

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've shipped two Porsche V8 engines via the 'pallet and crate' method. Both arrived without any damage, journeys of about 2200 miles in each case.

Plywood and materials to build the crates ran about $45 each.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i had a perfect s14 engine shipped from Gary Bossert to me that way - it arrived perfect. i shipped my old s14 to vac motorsports in the same container - no issue.

Bwana

Reaction score
How many miles are on the old engine? I thought these could run for several hundred thousand if the cylinder head doesn[t crack. What else is wrong with it?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There is a coupe here in Atlanta that I have been helping a friend part out.
He is making a track car.
It's a 72 3.0 CS.

There is a 35000 mile engine with an automatic trans. It has Zeniths.

If your interested i can put you in touch with him.

Yes, ship strapped on a pallet.

Gary

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Larry: Sorry to hear about this. If you need a head, Steve and I have one from our '75 euro.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Orange County Engine Crater and Shipper

A good Orange County Engine crater and shipper is: https://www.cratersandfreightersorangecty.com/

I used them when shipping a motor back East. I forget the cost because the buyer paid for it, but very reasonable for the work they did. Very convenient way of shipping. They insured for whatever you wanted. Did a great crating job and arrived unscathed.