About that car lift you been thinking of...

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's a recent article from our own Rob Siegel on the joy of owning a mid rise lift via Hagerty's website.

He touches on, but doesn't elaborate on the lift I have, the MaxJax which is designed for low ceiling garages.

I took some measurements to give others the specs on just what's possible with a coupe. I've yet to lift my coupe with it, but the measurements look good, so that day will come soon.

Lifts and E9 clearance

Height of car from ground: 53.9”

Height of bottom of rails 6.125”
Height of car above rails: 47.775”

MaxJax height of arm pad at top lock position: 45.5”
MaxJax height of arm pad at first lock position: 29.375”
There are only two lock positions, somewhat annoying, but workable.

MaxJax arm pad extension, lift comes with four: 2.75”

My ceiling height, garage door closed 112.5” (9' 4 1/8") or 285.75 cm
Available height with garage door open: 104”

Available head room when E9 is on lift at top lock position with garage door open: 10.725”
So the pad extensions can be used to gain almost 3” of additional room under the car if needed.
I set my columns pretty close together to reach under the car some distance, which will mean the doors will come off to make getting in and out easier since there will be a lot of that. It was a compromise to keep from taking up too much garage space. I could get in and out of the Boxster ok, but didn't have to do any bodywork on it. Rob's right, the mid rise lift doesn't take up any space on the sides like the two column lift, but I wanted to have the underside of the car clear since I have welding to do under there.

Yeah, the columns are bolted to anchors set in the garage floor, but they can be unbolted and the posts moved (they have two wheels), if needed. Extra bolt anchors can be installed in another position should you desire. The mid rise lift is more easily moveable but I have no fear of my lift trying to kill me.

I got mine through Costco online. They don't usually carry them, but I got lucky. The MaxJax site says they are on sale for $1650, but the Costco price was about $1200 if I remember correctly, shipped free.

Ian

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 4.41.01 PM.png

I have a two/three car home workshop with something like 10 feet ceiling height at one end, I have bought a new Chinese single post lift that you can move around like a pallet truck without the car on it, I bought this for a couple of reasons, I can position whatever car under the high part of the building, I can lift up one car, set it on tall stands and then use the lift for another car, I can move the lift out of the way if I want to say carry out interior work, yes the design does restrict access but actually not that much as the center arm can be positioned behind the gearbox, exhaust removal is a bit tricky, so far I am very pleased with it, Pat

I have a 4 post Titan lift recommended to me by my friend VBigdog,
Since I am 6'2", I got the XL so I can walk under without bonking my head.
Also, the Subaru fits under.

I have a DirectLift Propark 8. It is a great lift and is available with jack points so you could jack up the front and rear of the car to service it.

I have had the two post foreign lift for 6 years and no issues. Priced well and satisfied

Thank you for the information on the MaxJax. That is exactly what I have been looking for. I have a low garage ceiling and I need something that is portable but does not get in the way of working under the car. I don't need it right now but for $1200 I would be happy to spend the money right now. I looked at Costco online and they do not have them in stock. I guess I will just keep checking in hopes that they do get them in stock.

Has anyone looked at the Quickjack? I cannot bolt to the floor of my garage, and was thinking about one of these. Made in china, as are all the inexpensive lifts, but other than that the only problem I foresee is that the jack points on our cars are not parallel to the track of the vehicle. I know the Quickjacks can be positioned perpendicular to the vehicle track; not sure if they can be used in something of a V configuration to allow access to the tranny and clutch.

Has anyone looked at the Quickjack? I cannot bolt to the floor of my garage, and was thinking about one of these. Made in china, as are all the inexpensive lifts, but other than that the only problem I foresee is that the jack points on our cars are not parallel to the track of the vehicle. I know the Quickjacks can be positioned perpendicular to the vehicle track; not sure if they can be used in something of a V configuration to allow access to the tranny and clutch.

Hmm, From the Quickjack web page: "NOTE: Lift must make contact with vehicle frame lift points. Using any other point of contact (bumpers, body kits, etc) WILL cause damage "

I don't think this would work well for the E9 since the places to support the car aren't in line and aren't the same height. Sure, adjustments can be made, but at the risk of stability. Also, they look kinda spindly to me. I wouldn't want to be under them. Rob's mid rise lift is one big piece. these are two smaller sections, not near as stable.

That single column lift looks impressive, but the size and access limitations would not work for me.

Ian

Last edited:
I bought one of these single post lifts for my warehouse and love it. I lifts most of my stuff effortlessly including my Wagoneer. Highly recommend it.

I bought one of these single post lifts for my warehouse and love it. I lifts most of my stuff effortlessly including my Wagoneer. Highly recommend it.

Pics of the Wagoneer! Also - every think about buying an extra base and making your Waggoner more personalized?

And here's part 2 of Rob's mid rise lift saga.

He talk extensively about the safety ratchet mechanism to hold lifts in place. He states that all pillar lifts have one, but the MaxJax does not. It uses a simple rod that is placed through the pillar under the carriage to keep it up. This is robust and simple and easily to visually confirm before climbing under a car. I do wish there were one or two more, and I could drill them in the column any time, but really, the two positions have worked out fine.

I did have to use the lift in a lower position when installing the transmission in the Boxster because the transmission jack would not go high enough to reach the lift's first lock position. In that case I put jack stands under the arms to ensure safety. Easy enough.

Talked to Quickjack; they do not recommend lifting the car using jack points that are at different distances from the track of the vehicle.

So, back to looking at the scissors jack (or perhaps a different house).

Back