Abteilung curiosa: Options list for 3.0 CSL - March 1975

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Interesting CSL curiosa (could be shared with your relatives during the Christmas festivities...).

In addition to the free of charge city-pack, the following factory options were available for the CSL in March 1975 (price in DM in brackets):

Comfort Extras:
Power steering (DM 889,-)
Power windows front & rear (DM 597,-)
Tinted heat protected windows (DM 427,-)
AC with heat protected windows (DM 2960,-)

Radios:
BMW Bavaria with Antenna (DM 473,-)
Blaupunkt Frankfurt/Becker Europa with Antenna (DM 520,-)
Becker Grand Prix with Antenna (DM 741,-)
Blaupunkt Frankfurt Stereo with Antenna (DM 890,-)
Blaupunkt Bamberg CR Stereo cassette with Antenna (DM 1156,-)
Automatic Antenna (DM 254,-)

Safety extras:
Automatic 2-point Sefety Belts rear (DM 143,-)
Stronger Battery 55 Ah (DM 41,-)
Headlight washers (DM 433,-)
Second mirror (DM 28,-)
First Aid kit (DM 37,-)
Warning triangle (DM 14,-)

Luxury Extras:
Metallic painting (680,-)
Velour floor carpets front & rear (DM 111,-)
Lockable tank-filler cap (DM 31,-)
Big tool kit in the trunk lid (DM 144,-)

In other words, at the end of the production run, the CSL was not so "light" anymore. Please note that in March 1975 the electric mirror on the driver's side was factory standard. Furthermore, BMW wrote in their CSL sales brochure that it was possible to individualise your CSL.

Going back a litle bit further, in 1972 (at least in November 1972) the 2275xxx CSLs were sold in parallell to the carb CSLs. Although that the injection 2275xxx CSL was on the market, one could still order a carb CSL (one of the 169) for the same price as the 2275xxx version. Another interesting fact was that for the 2275xxx CSL, a client had to make a special order if he wanted to have the true light version (1165 kg). That could explain why there were pretty few 2275xxx CSLs without the city-pack etc produced.

Cheers

feri

Reaction score
CSL 1973 + Yannick:

I guess you are talking about this price / equipment list, right ?

http://e12.assertion.de/archive/05/532150021/04axx000.htm

Thanks for sharing the information.

So 2 open question left about the CSL saga:

1. The 3.0 CSLs made after 1975 november (and we have found no new information about it)

2. Alpina has assemled the first 169 cars (right ?). But it don't understand that why only 169 were made. If the CSL production was important for BMW, why did the company supported only the 2nd serie (both LHD and 500 RHD), and why hasn't put more energy in advertising the first serie ?

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Hi Feri:

Yes, the folder from 3/75 is the one I refer to. One can notice the only difference (except the prices) in the options list from 8/1974; normal hood support is available for the price of DM 59,-. The price for a new CSL was DM 38 860 (8/74) and DM 40 880,- (3/75).

For the UK CSLs, there was the famous City package, which contained:

Electrically heated rear window
Racing steering wheel
Scheel adjustable seats
Boge shock absorbers
Stainless steel bumpers
Special black undercoating
Interior light
Special sound proofing
Special floor carpeting
Luggage compartment mat
Michelin tyres 195/70 VR XWX
Tinted glass
Power windows
Tool kit in boot lid
Internal locking bonnet catch

Source: BMW marketing Leaflet "Special RHD equipment for GB - BMW 3.0 CSL" dated 2/73.

Due to BMW's VIN decoder, the last CSL (4355057) was produced in September 1975:

http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

I don't have all the details of the early production of the CSLs, but it's a fact that it took long time for BMW to produce the stipulated 1000 homologation CSL cars. The competitors (Ford Capri RS -900 kg- and Opel Commodore 2,8) were much faster to produce 1000 cars. In mid-72, BMW had still not yet produced 1000 CSLs and Jochen Neerpasch and the new department "BMW Motorsport" decided to jump in and really change things. Maybe this can explain why Alpina was phased out in relation to the CSL. Maybe BMW simply wanted to speed up the production towards 1000 cars. Alpina might be more suitable/interested in low production series cars.

First of all, Neerpasch increased the engine to 3003 ccm and the CSL could then belong to the next racing class (3000-5000 ccm). He also implemented the famous Bat spoiler system, which really boosted the results for the race-CSLs.

Why BMW did not promoted the CSL more than providing test CSLs to a lot of car magazines 1972-1974, I don't know. The upcoming oil-crise could have played a role, but I think that should normally have been a later issue (1974-1975).

At least, there were a lot of articles in the press about the CSL during the years 1972-1974. One interesting test was a winter-test done by Rally & Racing in 1974 - a Batmobile tested in half meter of snow! Or when the "Motorsport" magazine in January 1973 drove a Golf RHD CSL to ten European Capitals in four days.

Cheers

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Why BMW did not promoted the CSL more than providing test CSLs to a lot of car magazines 1972-1974, I don't know.

Why does BMW do anything?

:mrgreen:

IIRC correctly as a footnote, BMW was emerging from a tough financial time and the thought of producing a car that was not going to make them money (as the 2002 was beginning to do) was not the favorite subject a board meetings. Thus was born the 320 and the rest is history.

Interesting CSL document ....thanks for sharing!

Ran

CSL 1973

Reaction score
In case the question comes up over the Christmas dinner, I just want to add that in the later Price list (dated 25 August 1975) the price new for a CSL had increased to
DM 42 260,-

Price development for a new LHD 3.0 CSL:
DM 38 860,- ( 8/74)
DM 40 880,- ( 3/75)
DM 42 260,- ( 8/75)

For the UK Market, a RHD CSL, in October 1972, had the recommended Retail price of GBP 6399,- including Taxes. For the power steering one had to pay GBP 139,- extra.

Cheers

feri

Reaction score
I don't have all the details of the early production of the CSLs, but it's a fact that it took long time for BMW to produce the stipulated 1000 homologation CSL cars. The competitors (Ford Capri RS -900 kg- and Opel Commodore 2,8) were much faster to produce 1000 cars. In mid-72, BMW had still not yet produced 1000 CSLs and Jochen Neerpasch and the new department "BMW Motorsport" decided to jump in and really change things. Maybe this can explain why Alpina was phased out in relation to the CSL. Maybe BMW simply wanted to speed up the production towards 1000 cars. Alpina might be more suitable/interested in low production series cars.

First of all, Neerpasch increased the engine to 3003 ccm and the CSL could then belong to the next racing class (3000-5000 ccm). He also implemented the famous Bat spoiler system, which really boosted the results for the race-CSLs.

Why BMW did not promoted the CSL more than providing test CSLs to a lot of car magazines 1972-1974, I don't know. The upcoming oil-crise could have played a role, but I think that should normally have been a later issue (1974-1975).

At least, there were a lot of articles in the press about the CSL during the years 1972-1974. One interesting test was a winter-test done by Rally & Racing in 1974 - a Batmobile tested in half meter of snow! Or when the "Motorsport" magazine in January 1973 drove a Golf RHD CSL to ten European Capitals in four days.

Cheers

Yes, that might be a good reason. But the origial problem is that the first serie CSL came out in 1971, and the only article (which in fact was a short news) I have seen published in 1971 in Auto Motor und Sport.

The first real articles about the CSL (in fact the 2nd serie) published in magazines around 1972 october.

I have asked the details of the first CSL (001). BMW Archive wrote that it was delivered to Alpina at 1971 march. The AMS article published I think in 1971 May.

Why there was no real (means 4-6 pages) article about the first serie CSL from 1971 may to 1972 october ?

It is okay the 2nd serie RHD 500 CSL was made in a batch. But the 429 LHD cars was made from 1972 october - around 1973 jun.

Is it possible that because of no press and no bmw support, almost noone (in fact only 169) people knew about the 1st serie CSL ? After bmw 'pushed' the press, immeditely they sold almost 3 times more CSL from 1972 oct - 1973 jun.

So I think if BMW really wanted to support the 1st serie CSL, they could do it. On the other hand I am sure if Alpina could ever produce 400-500 cars / year at that time.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Indeed, BMW's "CSL marketing plan" for the first CSLs might not be the most visible or successful one. I also think that one reason might be that the CSL was not produced to meet a market need. The CSL was only produced in order for BMW to follow the rules of minimum 1000 homologation cars and therefore be able to race in "Tourenwagen der Gruppe 2".

I think the BMW people at that time were focused on the race cars and not to promote the street CSL. For the dealer network, the CSL was seen as an odd and exotic car aimed for a small group of entusiasts. The dealer network were most likely more interested to sell the more comfortable 2800 CS and 3.0 CS. Late 1971 the CSi was introduced and naturally more marketing efforts was spent on that car.

The plans for a homologation CSL took shape in München after the summer 1970 and during the spring 1971 the first carb CSLs were delivered to Alpina. The homologation weight for the CSL was 1065 kg, i.e. 100 kg less than the official CSL weight 1165 kg. This can be compared to Ford Capri RS with 900 kg. The CSL had big problems to compete with the Capris until a certain moment when the Bat spoiler system was implemented and the rest is "schön" BMW history.

Cheers

DJSimca

Reaction score
Excellent thread .. it is indeed good have some talking points around the Christmas dinner table ;-)

As always impressed by your knowledge about these cars CSL 1973!!

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting CSL curiosa (could be shared with your relatives during the Christmas festivities...).

In addition to the free of charge city-pack, the following factory options were available for the CSL in March 1975 (price in DM in brackets):

Comfort Extras:
Power steering (DM 889,-)
Power windows front & rear (DM 597,-)
Tinted heat protected windows (DM 427,-)
AC with heat protected windows (DM 2960,-)

Radios:
BMW Bavaria with Antenna (DM 473,-)
Blaupunkt Frankfurt/Becker Europa with Antenna (DM 520,-)
Becker Grand Prix with Antenna (DM 741,-)
Blaupunkt Frankfurt Stereo with Antenna (DM 890,-)
Blaupunkt Bamberg CR Stereo cassette with Antenna (DM 1156,-)
Automatic Antenna (DM 254,-)

Safety extras:
Automatic 2-point Sefety Belts rear (DM 143,-)
Stronger Battery 55 Ah (DM 41,-)
Headlight washers (DM 433,-)
Second mirror (DM 28,-)
First Aid kit (DM 37,-)
Warning triangle (DM 14,-)

Luxury Extras:
Metallic painting (680,-)
Velour floor carpets front & rear (DM 111,-)
Lockable tank-filler cap (DM 31,-)
Big tool kit in the trunk lid (DM 144,-)

In other words, at the end of the production run, the CSL was not so "light" anymore. Please note that in March 1975 the electric mirror on the driver's side was factory standard. Furthermore, BMW wrote in their CSL sales brochure that it was possible to individualise your CSL.

Going back a litle bit further, in 1972 (at least in November 1972) the 2275xxx CSLs were sold in parallell to the carb CSLs. Although that the injection 2275xxx CSL was on the market, one could still order a carb CSL (one of the 169) for the same price as the 2275xxx version. Another interesting fact was that for the 2275xxx CSL, a client had to make a special order if he wanted to have the true light version (1165 kg). That could explain why there were pretty few 2275xxx CSLs without the city-pack etc produced.

Cheers

CSL 1973, I noted your post mentioned "stainless steel" bumpers for the RHD cars.

I don't have ready access to a RHD car and wanted to know if these were truly stainless or simply chrome? My LHD, city-pack 2275045 car has chrome bumpers but was wondering.

Merry Christmas to you and your families!

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year you too Glenn!

Interesting question about the RHD bumbers. My reference is BMW's supplementary leaflet:
"Special RHD equipment for GB - BMW 3.0 CSL" dated 2/73, where it is written by BMW Stainless steel bumpers. The UK Magazine " Motor" tested the RHD CSL in December 1972 and only writes "Steel bumpers", CSL price GBP 6399,- including Taxes. Options; Radio (price according to choice) and front Spoiler (price to be decided).

UK RHD CSL Curiosa:

Quoting "Motorsport mag", January 1973: "BMW UK sold RHD CSLs at the rate of 80 a month".

Quoting "Auto Car" mag, October 1973: "When the UK importer saw the CSL, they ordered a large number, suitably civilized with proper steel bumpers and electric windows. At first it was intended to make the CSL the only manual coupe in range, but customer reaction to the fancy colour scheme and rather delicate aluminium panels has now put the all-steel regular 3.0 CSi back in the price lists."

"Due to relative value of the pound vs DM, the CSL has risen by about GBP 1 000 since the beginning of 1973 and to put one on the road now (October 1973), excluding insurance, would cost close to GBP 7 500. This makes the CSL more expensive than an Aston Martin (with six cylinder engine), a Jensen Interceptor, a MB 350 SL or a Porsche Carrera RS."

Please note that the value of an original Porsche Carrera RS today (2009) could be between 250 000 -350 000 euro.

RHD CSL price in October 1973:

GBP 7 399,-

Seat belts (in front): GBP 25,-
Licence: GBP 25,-
Delivery charge (London): GBP 15,-
Number plates: GBP 5,50

Extras (including PT):
Power steering : GBP 179,-
Stereo Radio/cartridge player GBP 220,-

Conclusion in relation to the RHD CSL bumpers:
In the BMW Leaflet it says "Stainless steel", in the UK mags it is written steel bumpers. In my personal opinion, I think it was steel-chrome ones (the same as for other E9 cars) but maybe some owners of RHD CSLs could verify.

Cheers

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Many thx DJ Simca for the kind words.

Before my uncle Hartmut from Augsburg will accuse me for incompleteness, I rather post some additional CSL prices:

Price development for a new LHD 3.0 CSL:

DM 31 950,- (1971 and 5/72)
DM 31 425,- (8/72) price reduction!
DM 32 700,- (2/73)
DM 35 700,- (7/73)
DM 35 700,- (1/74)
DM 37 580,- (7/74)
DM 38 860,- (8/74)
DM 38 860,- (11/74)
DM 40 880,- (3/75)
DM 42 260,- (8/75)

I also went through the BMW press-packs (Pressemappe) from early 70-s and noticed that in the 1972 press pack, the CSL is not mentioned at all.

In the 1974 press-pack, the CSL is mentioned with an own chapter. BMW propose the CSL to entusiasts like active or future race-drivers and also inform that it is fully possible to drive the CSL to and from the race events, which CSL owners are supposed to participate in.

In the last lines, in the press-pack from 1974, BMW writes that, because the limited production of the CSL, the CSL has a great potential to become a future collector's car on the "free market"...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year