AC hose woes

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, after about ten years of on and off work on my AC system between Coupe King and other specialty shops and replacing damn near everything along the way (incrementally, versus all at once which I should have), my car had a catastrophic AC incident on the way home from my local shop that had just flushed my brake fluid. Chris from Don's shop had installed the new evaporator and expansion valve last year, along with new heater core, so I could finally drive with dignity like most of you. And my local repair shop had filled the system with R134a after that and Don finished the system off Spring of this year chasing down an AC fan swith problem. Finally, it's done, I thought.

Anyway, on the drive home after the brake fluid replacement, my AC was working okay but I was hearing weird vacuum type sounds periodically under the dash or engine compartment...and then ten minutes later I heard a loud pop and immediate filling of my cabin with freon smoke while the rest of the 2 lbs exited my AC's bloodstream under my car and behind me on the freeway. The drivers behind me were terrified (and I wasn't far from that point myself) thinking I had blown an engine and to steer clear from any oil that may be coming from my E9 in their paths.

The smoke disappated quickly and I had already realized my AC had, once again, given up duty...

After getting home and sending a few photos attached to my local mechanic (who did my last R134 fill last year) and Don Lawrence, it appears something shorted near the compressor and exploded the high pressure hose connecting the condensor to the compressor, it appears. Clean up this morning was a pain but the car runs fine and now I just need to contemplate what to do next. Maybe give my AC system the win and call it a day or go back to square one and attack the hoses and wiring which go back to Coupe King days in 2010. And the compressor may be toast too...

Never a dull moment with these cars and maybe the E9 gods are trying to tell me to suck it up and live without AC like so many other coupsters. Honestly, in the 14 years I've had AC, it's really only worked about an hour or two total time and that was sending only cool versus cold air to my knee caps. And I stopped counting how much $$$ I've put into it along the way.

IMG_1394.JPG

And my local repair shop had filled the system with R134a after that
Too much freon? I don’t see how a short would cause a hose to blow. Sounds like new hoses are in order. I love my reduced barrier hoses - easy to route them out of the way.

Thanks, Steve, freon was under 2 lbs total (900 grams) and the low and high side pressures after the fill were in range...

HI Wayne - Sorry we are once again discussing your air conditioning. Not a great topic.

Odd this happened on the way home from the shop. Did they touch the A/C while it was in there?

When I did my A/C, I blew up a hose the first time I tried to fill my system. The original hoses in our cars had a screw on fitting, which could in theory be transferred to a new hose as a repair. In practice, that didn't work too well for me. I subsequently replaced my compressor with a modern Sanden compressor, installed a new condensor with a Spal pusher fan, and ordered a set of replacement hoses online. System works relatively well, but not as good as Doug Dolan's setup (he sourced a better condensor).

I agree with Steve; it is unlikely an electrical problem caused your hose to blow. The only electrical in that area is the power to the compressor clutch, and that is on a relay with a flying fuse near the right front headlight. Not much to go wrong, and I don't see any melted wiring in your picture. Its possible that your compressor clutch failed. When the clutch went on my son's e34, the compressor stopped turning and the a/c belt melted. In any event, your hose obviously blew, which could be from some other failure, incorrect pressures from the fill or might be due to the age of the hose.

Tough to diagnose from afar. Alas, you probably need to get back to London Auto and have them go through it. I would replace the hoses with modern ones at this point, like the ones Steve used: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/e...-resto-thread-2240284-72-cs.43212/post-394962

Last edited:
Thanks, Chris, much appreciated and interesting theory on the compressor failure..I'll go back in and look but will leave with London Auto soon to figure out and with Don's help. At least she's running well though and I still want to plan a trip down to see you and Tom and replace from front tie rods, etc. that I will attempt under yours and Tom's supervision! She will be fine for October Vintage, I think, if you and Tom are going?

I would want to understand if the hose was inserted completely when crimped.
Perhaps old hose or stretched too tight from the condensor putting tensile load on it.

Thanks, Don, will do. I'll also take the car in to see what other damage might exist...or symptoms of what caused this beyond a defective hose...

To Dan, my AC lines came from CoupeKing and I have no idea where that supply came from...

Thanks, Don, will do. I'll also take the car in to see what other damage might exist...or symptoms of what caused this beyond a defective hose...

To Dan, my AC lines came from CoupeKing and I have no idea where that supply came from...

It kind of looks like the rubber part of the hose stayed in the crimp fitting and the metal mesh structure pulled loose from it -- a sort of delamination. Not sure if that means a defect in the hose or an insufficient crimp or, as you say, too much pressure.

If you think the system is prone to running under power past the point where the pressure sensing switch should be turning the compressor off here is a suggestion:

Add this fitting on at one of your high-side-connections:

And screw this pressure relief valve into it:

Then, if you ever go to super pressure again you'll see a smaller cloud of refrigerant but there won't be a pop and you won't break anything.

Side story: I had refrigerant escape from a moving car only one time -- it was at a red light when the radiator fans had shorted out on my Taurus. Without airflow over the condenser the high side did built up enough pressure to escape the factory blow-off valve. But I highly suspect no car would get to this state at highway speed -- there would simply be plenty of heat exchange happening in your condenser.

Last thought: my Sanden-esque compressor also makes a kind of turbine sound when it's working really hard like on 100º days.

Thanks guys, I don’t know but will find out!

Back