AC Receiver/Dryer

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe this is NLA from BMW; anyone know if there are any new, unused units out there, or, what the corresponding Mercedes Benz part is as I'm told it fits. Thanks.

Most all of the underhood A/C components are of U.S. manufacture and used on many vehicles of the era. Any supplier of A/C components should be able to furnish this receiver/dryer. But why not refurbish the one you have?

I bought one from Carl about 4 months ago: BEHR P/N 50858A, replaces 115-835-04-71. However, I am very interested in hearing how to refurbish the receiver/dryer.

Rebuilding Receiver Drier?

I don't think I ever heard of that being done. The receiver drier is manufactured in a way that does not permit rebuilding. It has descant on the interior and once exposed to moisture for any length of time it's toast. New is the only option, I think if you go to a place that specializes in a/c parts or repair, they will likely be able to provide a replacement.

Doug

The receiver-dryer serves two purposes in these systems. It acts as an accumulator to smooth out the output from the compressor ( the York is a first cousin of a lawn mower engine) and it removes moisture in the system. If you are still using chlorinated refrigerant (R12, R134a and most blends) any moisture in the system will form an acid and damage the system.
If a system has been open to the atmosphere, it needs to be pumped down to a deep vacuum for 45 minutes or so to remove the moisture.
The dryer uses a desiccant to collect any remaining moisture. This desiccant can be reconstituted by baking out the collected moisture. 4 or more hours at 180F should do it. Bake with the fittings open and seal them after baking.

Excellent information! I was wondering what temp & time would do it. In addition to the dryer, the York equipped systems also have a vibration damper. It looks a lot like the dryer, but is installed upside down on the coupes. If you switch to a later style compressor (say a widely available sanyo-type unit out of a 635), can you pretty much ditch the vibration damper? In the e9 parts book, the rotary compressor diagrams don't seem to have it. Finally, the older AC lines are all AN fittings, but the later compressors use bump-style fittings. Anyone know of adapters for this purpose, or are custom hoses the best route?

Back