adhesive for door vapor barrier and dynamat xtreme

e9coupeMA

Reaction score
Guys - Anyone have experience dynamat products or dynamat xtreme? Can it work as a vapor barrier as well as a sound deadener? Check out the link and let me know what you think. https://www.eastwood.com/xtrm-dynam...mPPkA454Qm6aXohrJCJ4ZufakNnWnYWBoCSWEQAvD_BwE

ive seen guys put it on the outside wall. i am about to put my door panels back on and wondering the best way to create a vapor barrier as well as deaden sound. lastly, if you recommend that I use something like a poly cloth. Whats the best thickness and what do you recommend for adhesive. silicon?

As always, thanks!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A member here makes and sells a high quality, pre cut vapor barrier for E3s and E9s. Not a sound deadener however.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Inner door has a single sound-deadening panel from the factory. If intact, just work around it and add more. You will be surprised at the difference. I use Eastwood X mat for this, basically the same stuff as the Dynamat stuff your link shows.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Using something much thicker than the oem plastic sheet (which was thin, something like 0.4mm) will cause the doorpanel clips to engage differently in their respectieve holes. Too thick, and your door panel will be loose.

Many sound deadening materials are bitumen weighed down with sand like particles. They are effective in the low frequency range. It is the mass that does most of the work. They are typically 1,5 to 3 mm, thicker then a plastic film vapour barrier foil. They are mostly used to weigh down floppy metal panels.
That's why they were originally in the rear quarter panels, the vertical panel below the parcel shelf and on the floor; things that resonate. (I haven't yet disassembled my doors, so I can't tell you, but I guess the doors have some tar sheet stuck to the inside as well; many cars do.)

Another option that acts as both water barrier, but also reduces some noise, is closed cell foam sheets. It is used almost on virtually all new cars. They squish flat around fasteners and clips, so they dont "offset" your door panel. I believe this is what @alprada70 here on the forum uses to form his vapour barriers, but I let him chime in.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Closed cell foam is a brilliant idea, wish I thought of it. I bought a large sheet of clear plastic builders membrane which I cut to make a vapour barrier. Then stuck it in place with a type of sealer that doesn’t really set, I expect some of that sealer is still stuck to my fingers

alprada70

http://www.oilsdesigngroup.com/
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Using something much thicker than the oem plastic sheet (which was thin, something like 0.4mm) will cause the doorpanel clips to engage differently in their respectieve holes. Too thick, and your door panel will be loose.

Many sound deadening materials are bitumen weighed down with sand like particles. They are effective in the low frequency range. It is the mass that does most of the work. They are typically 1,5 to 3 mm, thicker then a plastic film vapour barrier foil. They are mostly used to weigh down floppy metal panels.
That's why they were originally in the rear quarter panels, the vertical panel below the parcel shelf and on the floor; things that resonate. (I haven't yet disassembled my doors, so I can't tell you, but I guess the doors have some tar sheet stuck to the inside as well; many cars do.)

Another option that acts as both water barrier, but also reduces some noise, is closed cell foam sheets. It is used almost on virtually all new cars. They squish flat around fasteners and clips, so they dont "offset" your door panel. I believe this is what @alprada70 here on the forum uses to form his vapour barriers, but I let him chime in.
Tks. Erik
I use adhesive vinyl. it's like a large decal. No affects the clips for the door trim panel, easy to install.

Attachments

• E9 puerta.jpg
    E9 puerta.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 142

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Another satisfied customer of alprada’s custom door liners. They‘re cut to install under the wood trim which I had already installed so I just trimmed 2” off of the top, its very nice that the holes line up with the door card clips making for a very easy install. Ignore the stupid cut I made in the center! New door cards installed, just waiting on my NOS armrests.
4184FF18-A3E3-4399-8399-773CE0DF0F11.jpeg
274A8691-03CC-44C0-972A-FB7F983EDFEC.jpeg