Advice for visiting Munich

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry of it seems that I am trying to crash the servers this weekend.

I wondered if any of you have thoughts or recommendations on the BMW experiences in Munich. Each February I make a sales trip to Europe and on each trip I try to take a weekend in Germany for the cars. I've done Wolfsburg and Stuttgart, and this year Munich.

On the BMW Welt site it seems that there are two must-sees: the Museum and BMW Group Classic. I would certainly enjoy everything, but I will have limited time.

Has anyone gone and have any recommendations? Unlike the others, the BMW museum is prearranged guided tours which do sell out, so I may be out of luck already. My work schedule kept moving around, so I didn't know until yesterday the weekend that I can actually do this.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate them!

Paul

Standort_Luftbild_EN.jpg

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welt is a big dealership but good to see nonetheless. Minis and Rollers as well. The Museum is closed on Mondays.

Philippe db

Reaction score
My advice would be to visit the museum and make a reservation for the factory visit. A lot to see and much more interesting then my last visit to the Porsche factory in Zuffenhausen.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
forget the welt and the plant,
try to get a visit to the group classic, it was the very first bmw factory and then to the museum (i have never found this museum interesting)

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought Welt was - as stated above - just a big dealership type operation. But, we booked a tour, and that was fairly interesting. The Museum is fairly interesting, but thought the layout was not conducive to those of us who are primarily 'classic' interested. We were there last May, and several of the options for tours like the Group Classic were closed.

In my opinion, the MB Museum in Stuttgart is the best Museum in Germany (but I haven't visited either the Audi or VW museum. Porsche is 2nd best. BMW was fairly distant behind those two. I also had a plant tour in Greer SC last year. That paled in comparison to an MB tour in Germany about 4 years ago.

Gary

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys- that's just what I was looking for. I just booked the Classics guided tour (which I am most looking forward to) and found out that you can in fact do the Museum self guided, so I will do that afterward as time permits.

I will agree about that Mercedes museum. It was the highlight of my Stuttgart trip. While I was mostly looking forward to Porsche, which was terrific, the Mercedes museum was put together in such an amazing way that I could have stayed all day. Of course they have more history to cover, but it was interesting how they kept showing other things going on in history at those same times, giving you a real sense of the era you were looking at at the time.

m_thompson

Reaction score
When I went on the Munich factory tour, the only English language tour was at 11:00. I can't tell from the WWW page if that is still true.
The BMW Museum is more artsy and less technical than the Mercedes and Porsche museums. Still worth a visit through.
The Deutsches Museums, all three, are worth a visit if you have some more time.