Advice on shipping a big car part?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Guys,
I am seeking advice on how to get a 68"x69"x41" (wxdxh) wood crate shipped from Seattle to Boston.
It's setup to be moved via forklift, and weighs about 300lbs. It cannot be stood on end, and nothing heavier than 300lbs should be stacked on top o (it contains a very hard to obtain complete new body for one of my race cars).

Any recommendations for freight forwarders?
Experience using uship.com?
Advice about what do and not to do when finding and setting up shipment?

Thanks, John

PS parts for the yellow one in front of lafngrvy's old Chevron)

IMG_0025.JPG

Last edited:
Hi John, I have used u-ship with good success to move items up and down the east coast and once from the mid-west to the east coast.

I suggest throwing up the listing to start getting some bids. You will find a wide variety of responses from a variety of shippers and it can take the better part of a week to get a reasonable volume of quotes.

This may sound naiive and stupid, but maybe a cold-call to someone like F40 Motorsports (Wayne Carini) who ships cars/knows of shipped cars crossing the country (enclosed) with a little room for some balast, that knows that it isn't a container of turnips...Just a thought. Might learn something, might not...

This may sound naiive and stupid, but maybe a cold-call to someone like F40 Motorsports (Wayne Carini) who ships cars/knows of shipped cars crossing the country (enclosed) with a little room for some balast, that knows that it isn't a container of turnips...Just a thought. Might learn something, might not...
Car carrier was my first thought. But in my limited experience they tend not to want to deal with non-car cargo.

I have used Greyhound Bus Co. for shipping fenders and also a large wooden bos maybe 60"L × 24"W × 12"H.
No damage in delivery.

Yellow freight was super cheap for me last time I used them. Terminal to Terminal, it was $200 to ship an engine from Seattle to NJ.

Thanks, I’ve registered and created a solicitation.

Is Pirate a consolidator?
I’ll try them In parallel with ushilp.
No sure I used Pirate twice and was very happy. Get on line and they give you price then you just print labels and take to UPS

I ended up using a broker, freightquote.com

Im sure they were not the cheapest, but the were VERY responsive, willing to talk on the phone, found shippers who could fully insure (UPS’s limit was too low), and the few hundred more I spent was worth the savings in hassle. I also tried things like getting a quote direct from FedEx freight, and it was 75% higher than the FedEx quote I got thru this Broker. That was a surprise.

uship.com: I asked for a shipping terminal where the crate could be dropped off (too big for a lift gate), and never heard back from them.

Anyway: 30 hours after first contact my crate was at the terminal being loaded for its cross country journey. With race season not that far away, I appreciated not having my crate sit in a warehouse for a couple weeks (as has been my experience with vehicle shippers).

Thanks for all the good advice.

John

Don,

if my load had been a std pallet size, I don’t doubt that ship.com would have been easy and cheap. I ship said my crate was too big for liftgate pickup and would not give me the option of dropping off at a shipping terminal. Maybe next time.

John

Back